Feeling confused.

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by birdlover99, May 16, 2016.

1. birdlover99

birdlover99
    Expand Collapse

Hi, So I have been attending a Methodist church lately and it is so different than what I am use to. My Fiance was raised with his dad being seventh day and his mom catholic. I was raised Baptist. We decided that we both want to go to church but couldn't agree on what religion to settle with. We ended up deciding to pick a church that was close to home but that neither of us ever attended before. It happens to be a United Methodist church.
    The pastor at the Methodist church is very nice. I like her a lot and like her sermons but they seem very short. Not what I'm use to at all. This past Sunday was Pentecost. I have no idea what it was and have never really been introduced to it in my home baptist church. Its not that we didn't mention it. We did but it wasn't marked as a holiday.
    Another big thing that gets me is that I like to follow along in my bible but she uses the NIV version. Growing up you used the NKJV version until you were old enough to use the KJV version and that was all anyone ever used. I find I really don't like the NIV version. It changes everything and is so hard to follow along with.
    Her sermons are nice I suppose but the way she interprets the bible is a little different than what I'm use to. Its more like she reads us a passage then explains what it means and gives a little analogy about it. I know the pastor I grew up and keep comparing her with is a relaxed southern baptist preacher. He did a lot of Hell fire and damnation. Not the crazy nut type but he was very passionate about what he preached but she isn't. Its just very sweet and calm. Not very motivating and i find myself wishing it would be over instead of looking forward to the next week when I can come and listen to the word of god. It is also very short. Most of it is singing and these repeat after me things. There is no adult Sunday school. Just the songs and sermon. It is over and done with in about 45 minutes. I am use to a 60 minute Sunday school, 20 minutes of song spread out through the whole thing then a good 60 minute service with Pastor even running over sometimes.
    So what do you all think? Thoughts...Suggestions....Comments....Anything....

Attached Files:

2. InTheLight

InTheLight
    Expand Collapse

Hi Birdlover,

I can see why you say you are feeling confused. You grew up in a Baptist church and you are attending a Methodist church. A United Methodist Church at that. They are a more liberal denomination. For example, they are currently embroiled in a schism regarding whether or not to accept gay ministers. If you are accustomed to a convicting sermon given with passion, you won't get it at this church.

It sounds like you are not too impressed with the church. What does your fiance think of this church?

I think the solution is obvious--try another church. You might have to drive a bit to find one. So be it. I think it's great that the two of you are seeking a church home. Since this is Baptist Board I would suggest a Baptist church!

(BTW, you might get more responses if this were posted in a different forum. I'm not sure about the rules here--maybe you can't post in the other forums until you accumulate a minimum number of posts? Is that why this is in Member Questions and Suggestions rather than in Other Christian Denominations or General Baptist Discussions?)

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946
    Expand Collapse

I agree with what ITL says and would like to add my own experience... I grew up in a Baptist Church and it was a small family church. My previous wife passed on after 30 years of marriage and I married another believer... She also was raised in church and at the time I met her she attended a large church over 2,500 members but she was raised in a small church also. I attended with her in this large church until she retired from teaching and moved we out of the area. When we relocated we were looking for a church... There was a church that welcomed us but it was to small... We went to others and they didn't even talk to us even though we were visitors... After all this time would we ever find a church?... We found a church that suited our needs and the needs of the church we chose... We serve God and each other and the church is just right about 200 members... I agree with ITL look around as there is a church and God's people just waiting for you and what you will bring to the church... Don't stay where you are not fed and feel comfortable in the word of God!... Brother Glen