1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Female Sunday School Teachers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jeben, May 27, 2012.

1. McWilliams

McWilliams New Member

Just stick to your scriptural convictions and the issue will never be a problem again for you. Scripture clearly states women are not to teach men and that is for all people, all circumstances, including Beth Moore and whomever else decides they want to teach a co-ed class. It is not scriptural. We dont decide what to do depending on what we prefer, what we feel most comfortable with but on what our God has declared!

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I still prefer not to sit through a teacher, male or female, who cannot teach. My calling would be to correct them, and as much admonishment that would be, I think best it would be is to move on, around, through, etc.

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

With this subject in mind, what is a small church to do if they have no men who will commit to teach and only a women will agree to teach. Is that church to forfiet Sunday School all together?

I have been a member of several churches where thye allow women to teach. One was a terrible teacher so I wouldn't go to her class. Instead I chose to go to a younger age group where a man taught. I belong to a SBC church now where a woman teaches an adult class that I was a member of and she did a great job. This is a difficult question for me because I agree scripture does forbid a woman to teach.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

PRAY, The Lord to raise up some godly men and wait on the Lord but don't follow how satan wants to have it done wiht a woman teaching men. God is still able to answer prayer. Until the Lord provides the Pastor should fill the spot and will if he is godly and believes in obeying the Lord. Other wise do not have Sunday school for men if a woman is leading.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apply the teaching of Jesus to this situation. Would you not pull your donkey up on the Sabbath? Here we have a short term situation where we need for someone to step forward and carry the load. Which of you nay sayers knows that God does not plan to use the teacher for His purpose. But on the other hand, we should not think this exception sets a precedent for a woman exercising spiritual authority over men. That would be something the elders of your church might want to study and pray about before putting a different understanding of scripture before the body.

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If there is no other teacher, then let the male adults and older male teens (young adults) be in a pastor's class.

There is never an excuse to neglect the Scriptures.

Although, I have to admit, I have been around some preachers and teachers - a donkey might have been better. :)

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, if true to his convictions, then kudos.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I think you get my drift here.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sunday School" is not a scriptural construct to begin with. And there are so many biblcial precepts that we ignore as being irrelevant for our situation-- as in I Corinthians, Paul said 2 prophets should speak, 2 or 3 should speak in tongues with an interpreter, women should not speak at all; yet he previously said if a woman prays or prophesies, she should wear a hear-covering, but also said long hair is a covering.... If we have to 'pick and choose'-- and we do whether we like to admit it or not-- one thing we should not let drag is that Sunday School is the same thing as the meetings Paul described, when they're obviously nothing like that. That's why I won't let it bug me that the primary teacher in our mixed class is a woman.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ah, it's call avoiding anachronism as we theologize.

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Then why not follow Scripture!

Sunday School is an add on to the ministry of the Church. It is not essential. In fact I believe that some preachers have given up on expository preaching depending on SS teachers. And I will say this; A SS teacher who relies only on the SBC literature is not going to teach anything.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and neither is air-conditioning!

Now, can you show me where Sunday school is UN-scriptural?

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

:thumbs::thumbs:

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sunday School" is not a scriptural construct to begin with. ...

No, but ain't air conditioning needed to balance the hot air from teachers, be they men or women?

And does your church require women to keep silent, in the assembly [church] and in Sunday School?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh my goodness, we have allowed women to sing in church, we will have to put a stop to that!

#35 Salty, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, bigots conveniently ignore what they don't wish to follow or take literally, but having women walk three paces behind them and in their shadow pleases their male ego and sense of dominance.

But praise God that He calls women every day to preach and teach, spreading the Gospel to everyone, comforting the hurting and rejected.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sunday School most certainly IS scriptural.

1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

The TERM Sunday School is not found in scripture as that was invented by man, but teaching on the day of worship is definitely scriptural.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hey! I'm a teacher, so knock it off! :laugh:

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have to agree with you there. It's a sad commentary that SS teachers need that book of pablum.

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is one thing for you to opine about the matter, but for you to insert social slurs is quite another.

Just because you or some others are in disagreement on the matter give no room for your excuse to accuse one of social injustice.

Whether one disagrees with women teachers/preachers or no should not be a case for a poster to assume some superiority of thinking based upon the fallacy of bigotry claims.

If you disagree with a poster, disagree, but do not assume higher authority and station is found in hurtful labeling.