1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fictional Pastors

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Name some of the pastors/ministers/preachers you have read about in a book of fiction.

2. Give the name of the book

3. List qualities, good or bad, that they had.

Rob

2. standingfirminChrist

Bruce Barnes, pastor of Irene Steele's Church in the Left Behind series.

Bruce knew about the Lord, preached out of His Word and still missed the Rapture. Sadly, the book takes a turn into fantasy at this point for it has Bruce getting saved and leading many others to Christ who also had rejected Him prior to the Rapture.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Monseigneur Bienvenu, a Bishop of the Catholic Church in Les Miserables
    He is quite prominant in the first part of the book.
    He's probably one of the most Christ-like ministers of God's grace I've ever read in a fictional work.

Rob

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You probably didn't mean a fictional pastor (in this case, chaplain) that is such a minor character, and I don't even remember his name. But in Moby Dick Ishmael attends a seamen's worship service before going aboard the Pequod and some of the sermon is quoted. But all I remember for sure is that he said, "...I am a greater sinner than ye all..." While this chaplain seemed an upright man, a statement like this can be incompetent-- he doesn't know everyone there to make a statement of such certainty, and it's not likely to be true. On the other hand, I suppose it can be poetic license; and I doubt if anyone who pays atention will disagree that is part of the makeup of sermonizing. Example-- I have heard quite a number of sermons in which the speaker poses the question, "Do you know what the greatest sin is among Christians today?" And then they typically answer their own question. But there have been about as many different answers to that question as times it has been asked... "not praying"; "not giving"; "indifference"; "hypocrisy", et al.

The "poetic license" of speaking in superlatives should be done more cautiously, and any such point involved, if questionable, should be eliminated.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's Father Mapple
    Good book!

Rob

6. standingfirminChrist

Reckon Father Mapple got that sermon wrong. Jonah wasn't a pilot.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The Priest in Thorn Birds.

He was involved sexually with one of his parish.

8. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Father Tim in the Mitford books. He is an Episcopalian Priest, but was raised Baptist. The books are written by Jan Karon and are based in the NC Mountains.

What I like is that the Gospel is presented in these books. He is very caring and involved w/the lives of his parishioners. The books are clean and have good moral lessons. No profanity or immoral situations but there are a lot of colorful characters....

Dislike that he's an Episopalian priest who drinks alcohol on occassion.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller (1960)

A classic apocalyptic science fiction novel (my favorite type)

Centuries after the Flame Deluge, Brother Francis of the Albertian Order of Leibowitz finds original documents from the abbey's founder.

"Pound pastrami, can kraut, six bagels - bring home for Emma."

Brother Francis displayed devotion, persistence and humility (and ignorance) through the swirling turmoil of politics that enveloped him.

Eventually history repeats itself with the destruction of civilization.

Rob