1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fighting about fighting- Any hope for us?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I wouldn't be so sure Luke. Folks can read for themselves.

Again Luke, folks can read. A person can see whether I am wresting scriptures or not.

I am not concerned with feeling superior. I am concerned with what the scriptures say. I truly fear God, and I want to understand God's true interpretation of scripture, not man's. You do not know how often I pray and ask God to show me the true interpretation of his words, I take this VERY seriously.

On this you are correct. And one of the worst abusers of scripture is Calvinism. There is more hope of correcting a JW than a Calvinist.

2. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Luke:

If the BF&M is sufficient for all as you claim then why do you not call out Southern Seminary for the Abstract of Principles which is a guiding confession for the seminary? Why is that when non-Cal's put out a statement that seeks to clarify their position the argument of "the BF&M is sufficient" starts being spewed by those in the reformed camp? Yet it is perfectly ok for those who are reformed to have additional confessions of faith?

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is sufficient for the denomination as a whole. We have proven that we can work together with varying beliefs and further the kingdom of God.

This does not mean that every church has to be as vague as the BF&M and never take it further in their teaching and exposition of Scripture.

In fact EVERY church SHOULD be FAR more specific than the BF&M.
    The BF&M was never designed to be the ONLY truths taught in the SBC- just the ones essential to maintain orthodoxy.

For churches, orthodoxy is essential but not sufficient.

The same is true with seminaries.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The SBC is not a hierarchy. It has no governing authority. The SBC is an association of autonomous churches that set their own standards. Your statement the orthodoxy is essential but not sufficient is up to each church, not the SBC.

5. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

What's your point on your last sentence?

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thank you for the accuracy and for standing for historic Baptist principles.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And around WHAT do they associate?

Doctrine.

They associate because there are some basic doctrines that they wholeheartedly agree on.

They do NOT associate with people who repudiate those doctrines.

Where do we find a list of doctrines that bind us together in voluntary association?

Enter the Jeopardy theme song...

The answer IS!... What is the Baptist Faith and Message, Alex.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that in the area of say Sotierology, we could ALl agree on the facts that we are all sinners, that we cannot keep thelaw in order to save ourselves, that jesus death upon Cross provoded basis to have God redeem us, and that we must place faith in jesus in order to be saved by his atonement!

Hopefully we could agree in unity on that , and THEN go intosub points stating some hold to cal system others arm!