1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Filling of the Spirit --- What is it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Mar 18, 2008.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, cuz, you a Rice too?

My brother on his weird website has put together our geneology, family stories, etc. There are also pictures of the "John and Lloys Rice Museum." Check it out at www.tuppers.com.

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

I do have a bit of a problem with his understanding of Acts 19. I believe these disciples (and others in 18) were OT-style disciples of John the Baptist still travelling around unaware of the new gospel. That they were yet OT saints is why they had not RECEIVED the INDWELLING Spirit.

Like Zacharias, John the Baptist, or Elizabeth, they might have been filled with the Spirit at one time or another and we see that all of them had a testimony of Jesus, even if is just your baby kicking in your belly!

And yet all OT filling didn't regard Christ I don't believe.

skypair

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you here, being a dispensationalist. Grandpa was not real happy with me when I abandoned his doctrine of the church. He didn't make much difference between the OT and NT in some ways. For example, he believed the church existed in the OT era, based on Acts 7:38, etc.

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

I've run into folks like that. The one thing that they have right is that salvation has always been by faith.

Are you considering retiring soon? I think we are about the same age. Where would you retire?

skypair

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm 56, and don't plan to seriously think about retirement until I'm in my 60's. I've toyed with the idea of retiring from Japan to teach missions in a Bible college somewhere, but I don't know where that would be. In the mean time, I'll just keep on keeping on. Still have a lot to do here. :type:

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

Letourneau University is here in town. We have a former missionary to Japan here as a new member of Mobberly Baptist. His name is John too (I'll look him up again if you like).

Just thought maybe you might like some inquiries made. My wife has told me I ought to look into the aviation training aspect if I think I might like to "work out my own retirement!" :laugh: She's a little more insecure with our "arrangements" than I am. :laugh:

skypair

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, but there's little chance I would know John. We've spent our career in places with few Baptist missionaries: south Yokohama and now up here in Hokkaido.

I appreciate the thought. The thing is, when I start thinking about retirement it distracts me, so I have to concentrate on thinking about our ministry here. The beloved homeland has a very strong draw on us sometimes.
    [​IMG]

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Sorry :tonofbricks:

skypair

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem, you didn't do a thing wrong! :wavey:

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You might consider being a missionary to the business man, y'know how many companies are Japanese owned here in the "Homeland", whcih is fast becoming an open market for the world to purchase!:tear:

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the idea. If the Lord leads that way I'll certainly listen.

Don't worry too much about the Japanese, though. Their economy is in a shambles right now, with several ongoing financial scandals such as the one with a big Japanese bank right now. :type:

#71 John of Japan, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2008
  12. kevin hobby

kevin hobby Guest

...be filled with the Spirit...
    ...Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord...
    ...Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ...(Ephesians 5)

...Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom...
    ...teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord...
    ...And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him...(Colossians 3)

"be filled with the Spirit" = "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly"

John 6:63
    "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life"

Revelation 19:13
    "he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God"

#72 kevin hobby, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Absolutely right! I didn't notice that before -- thanks! :wavey:

skypair

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    any new thoughts?