1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Film about the childhood of Jesus

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by vaspers, Feb 21, 2004.

1. vaspers

vaspers New Member

What if you could extrapolate from the adult career and teachings of Jesus and develop an admittedly fictional, but spiritually instructive film about what the childhood of Jesus might have been like. "What for?" some may ask. Well, to show how Jesus might, I stress *might* have handled bullies, teasers, His brothers and sisters (who were not too kind according to Gospel texts), how He helped His dad Joseph in carpenter shop, etc. I know, I know there are apocryphal texts that say that boy Jesus made clay pigeons fly, and boy Jesus healed and flew through the sky, but I mean a serious, reverent treatment. Any comments?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would go way beyond the Bible and would be subject to the whims of the producers.

Did he help out in the carpenter (or stonemason) shop? We don't know. Why would we speculate? (Actually, there is a very interesting case to be made that he came into contact with a wide variety of cultures through working with Joseph in construction work at Sephorah, but that's not suitable for a children's movie.)

Was he teased and bullied? We don't know. It would be pure speculation.

I fear such a presentation would be more the result of saddling up the hobby horses of the makers than any correlation with reality.

3. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Yes in the wrong hands this could be full of heresy and idiocy. But someone may attempt it someday and it would be nice if a serious reverent attempt was made by a real Christian. Focus could be on his visit to the religious scholars at Temple and what led up to it, when 12 years old.

4. cdg

cdg New Member

I agree with rsr. I dont see the point. It would all be speculation. One could just do a fictional story and show from Bible verses how a child should act and react. And one shouldnt use Christ because people who saw it would probably associate the fictional with the real.

5. vaspers

vaspers New Member

good point, and like you say though you could do research on what childhood was like back in Jesus' day. this may be impossible to do correctly and I readily admit that. just curious what others may think about it. the boyhood of David, tending sheep, fighting Goliath, that has been done.