1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Financing

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Patriot, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Hi. Let's say I want to go to a real good seminary like the one at Dallas, Southwest Seminary I believe its called. I don't really know, i heard something like that and that it was a really good one. Ok, the question is, if you want to go there, but you don't have the money, do they have payment options such as financial aid? Thanks.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was a student at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary I was helped by the seminary some to help pay for tuition and books. We lived on 16 thousand dollars in 1992 as a family and went to seminary.

We trusted God for the finances, etc.

A friend of mine told me one day that he was going to have to drop out because of finances. In the orientation the Pres. of the seminary told us that before anyone ever dropped out they needed to come to the financial aid office first. So i told me frined that he needed to go to the financial aid office and tell them his dilemma. To his surprise he found out the day he went that his tuition was paid for the next sememster.

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

If you are talking about attending Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX and you are a member of a Southern Baptist Church you are in luck. Our Southern Baptist Converntion (SBC) Cooperative Program provides for a significant portion of the tuition. Each of the six SBC Seminaries receives a certain dollar amount per student each year to help offset to cost of tuition. Plus there are scholarships that you can apply to receive. You will need to check at the Financial Aid office on campus to see what scholarships are availabe. Likewise, if you are a member of a Southern Baptist Church you should check with your local association and state convention office to see if they have any scholarships or financial aid available. The bottom line is that if God wants you at seminary He will provide the resources to make it possible. Remember He owns the cattle on a thousand hills and the hills themselves as well! Praise the Lord!

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I know several young men who go to Bible College one semester at a time. They go a semester and then take a semester off to work and pay for the next one.

It takes longer, but it's worth it if that's where God wants you.

There are also some colleges that will find a benefactor for you depending on your grades, attitude, Godliness etc.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gone are the "Good Ol Days" when one could work a summer and pay for all schooling in the fall. I did in the early 60's, but inflation and rising costs of school far outpace average wages any more.

Often denominations will help with seminary. Our church has a fund to help men who are going into the ministry. Pay some tuition.

Plan to work 20 hours a week. Still ample time for 12 credits and family.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then there's the GI Bill. (Think Coast Guard for this one.)