1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Finding a Pulpit

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by untangled, Nov 26, 2003.

1. NateT

NateT Member

Another thought is to get your resume to the DOM(s) in the region you want to be in. Also, state offices will distribute resumes. I was on our search comittee for our pastor. The first thing we did was go to the state office and have them send us resumes. We also got resumes that our DOM had. The third step was to contact the seminaries. We ended up calling a pastor that was given to us by the DOM. He's over 50 with 20 years of experience. However, the pastor before that was about 27 when he started, although he started just out of seminary.

Let me give you a tip from a former search committe member. When you write your resume DON'T LIMIT IT TO 1 PAGE!!! There will be people who disagree with me, but to a man, everyone on our committe was really frustrated with 1 page resumes. It just seems like there isn't enough there to know if you are qualified or not. I mean a good 1/3 of the space could be taken up with address/picture information. I think a 2 to 3 page resume would be good. But don't add fluff. Just write out what you did. The ones we liked the least were the ones that said:
    June 1998 - Aug 2001 Pastor First Baptist Church. Duties included preaching every sunday, weddings and funerals.

Sept 1988 - May 199A Pastor Second Baptist Church
    Duties included preaching every sunday, weddings and funerals.

I'm not kidding we got some of those, and those were usually the first ones in the "no thanks" pile.

That's a little bit more than what you asked for, but I think overall it should be helpful information.

2. Groves1611

Groves1611 New Member

YOUR VACANT PULPIT

A church was in need of a pastor. One of the deacons was interested in knowing just what kind of a minister they desired. He wrote the following letter, as if he had received it from an applicant, and read it to the pulpit committee. It read as follows:

“Gentlemen:
    Understanding that your pulpit is vacant, I should like to apply for the position. I have many qualifications that I think you would appreciate. I have been blessed to preach with power and have had some success as a writer. Some say that I am good at organizing. I have been leader in most places I have gone.
    Some folks, however, have some things against me. I have some things against myself. I am over 50. I have never preached in one place for more than three years at a time. In some places I have had to leave town after my work caused riots and disturbances. I have to admit I have been in jail three or four times. My health isn’t good. I have to work at my trade to make ends meet. All my churches have been small, although located in large cities.
    I haven’t gotten along too well with the ministerial associations in the different churches where I have pastored. In fact, some of them have threatened me, taken me to court, and even attacked me physically.
    I am not too good at keeping records. I have been known to forget whom I have baptized. However, if you can use me, I shall do my best for you, even if I have to work to help with my support.”

The deacon, upon reading the letter, asked the committee if they were interested in the applicant. They replied he would never do for their church. They said they were not interested in an unhealthy, contentious, trouble-making, absent-minded jailbird, and that they were insulted that his application had ever been submitted. When they inquired of the deacon the name of the applicant, he replied, “The Apostle Paul”.

3. Groves1611

Groves1611 New Member

PASTORAL SEARCH COMMITTEE REPORT

In our search for a suitable pastor, the following scratch sheet was developed for your perusal. Of the candidates investigated by the committee, only one was found to have the necessary qualities. The list contains the names of the candidates and comments on each, should you be interested in investigating them further for future pastoral placements.

NOAH: He has 120 years of preaching experience, but no converts.

MOSES: He stutters; and his former congregation says he loses his temper over trivial things.

ABRAHAM: He took off to Egypt during hard times. We heard that he got into trouble with the authorities and then tried to lie his way out.

DAVID: He is and unacceptable moral character. He might have been considered for minister of music had he not ‘fallen’.

SOLOMON: He has a reputation for wisdom but fails to practice what he preaches.

ELIJAH: He proved to be inconsistent, and is known to fold under pressure.

HOSEA: His family life is in a shambles. Divorced, and remarried to a prostitute.

JEREMIAH: He is too emotional, alarmist; some say a real ‘pain in the neck’.

AMOS: Comes from a farming background. Better off picking figs.

JOHN: He says he is a Baptist but lacks tact and dresses like a hippie. Would not feel comfortable at a church potluck supper.

PETER: Has a bad temper, and was hear to have even denied Christ publicly.

PAUL: We found him to lack tact. He is too harsh; His appearance is contemptible.

TIMOTHY: He has potential, but is much too young for the position despite his calling.

JESUS: He tends to offend church members with his preaching.

JUDAS: He seemed to be very practical, co-operative, good with money, cares for the people, and seems to be just the man we are looking for to fill the vacancy as our pastor.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

dear Untangled,
    Since you say you are willing to start out bi-vocational, you might consider church planting.
    This requires door knocking,discipleing, and churching your mostly new converts. All hard work and all rewarding.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say this: If you are bivocational your attention will be divided. Planting a church will demand every ounce of energy you have and more. Consider the time you have and your family's attitude first.

I have planted churches working a regular secular job and having the support of a church. Working a regular job is extrememly difficult.