1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Finding curriculum for online college

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Amerikrainian, May 30, 2013.

1. Amerikrainian

Amerikrainian New Member

Hello,

If one wanted to start an online bible/baptist college/institute, where would one find curriculum and tests/workbooks? Instead of textbooks, I wonder if it's just a better idea to use quality paperbacks and create the study questions and tests for them. Or maybe somebody out there knows of companies with ebooks/PDFs or complete courses that can be used for this purpose.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are already a number of online schools as well as most brick and mortar schools offer online courses. Google will help you find them.

As for books many older books or digital, most newer would be available through different publishers, Amazon etc. For older ones google the title if you have any in mind, also snoop out biblesupport.com for hundreds of books and commentaries offered for use within esword. There is a site for resources with TheWord Bible program as well.

3. Amerikrainian

Amerikrainian New Member

Yes, there are a numerous online courses, both free and paid, but none like I was looking for when I searched.

The free programs are incomplete. Most of the paid programs either cost to much and/or only result in a certificate.

With all due respect, I know that Amazon sells books. My question was, how do I find--specifically--Bible course textbooks, esp. with workbooks, either on Amazon or through some publishers. I have not found the publishers/resources I am seeking.

If anyone knows of organizations/websites that offer PDF/ebook courses, with or without tests (since I can create them), that can be reused for my purposes, please let me know.

Thank you.

4. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for. There generally aren't "workbooks" to go with theology textbooks because it's assumed the prof is competent enough to create & navigate the text.

There is nothing wrong with a church-based bible INSTITUTE, but I would strongly encourage you not to mislead people into thinking you've created a genuine bible college. It's clear from your question that you're not ready for that.

Though I have some minor theological disagreements with it, the Faith Bible Institute is something a church can use that's extremely affordable. You can google Faith Bible Institute and find out for about it and its founder, John Yates.

5. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, may I ask, what is your educational background?

If you don't have a proper foundation of training, you shouldn't really be training others. If you do have the proper foundation, I must say your best bet is to probably create your own curriculum. As others have said I don't know if your really going to find what your looking for.

Also I had a little problem with this statement...
    What is the problem with a program that results in a certificate? I agree with mjohnson7, you need to tread lightly. When you go calling yourself a "college" you really have a whole other set of issues you need to address.

6. Amerikrainian

Amerikrainian New Member

You're right that I am not finding what I am looking for on this forum. Instead my simple question has received tangential replies.

I didn't say I'm ready to start an college/institute; I am only investigating the idea.

I don't intend to "mislead" anybody, and there is no grounds for your replies to make those assumptions. Each state has their own requirements as to what constitutes a "college". Moreover, as a Christian, I have a higher authority to answer to even if the state allows anything.

A certificate is only a one-year equivalent. That is the problem with a certificate. It isn't a full education--more like a primer.

Workbooks add a bit of direction to self-directed study. So, although they may not find use in a classroom environment, they can be very helpful for distance learning. In my opinion, they also reinforce audio presentations and Bible reading. Rather than basic dictation, they add an interactive element to the learning process.

Not interested in Faith. I am looking into a distance learning format.