1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fire for the Future Conference

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by FBCPastorsWife, Jan 13, 2006.

1. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Everyone is invited to attend Evangelist Greg Locke's 2006 Fire for the Future Conference at Franklin Road Baptist Church in Murfreesboro, TN! Please visit the conference website for more information on time, location and this year's fabulous line up of speakers from around the country which include Bro. Eric Capaci, Bro. Tommy Steele, Bro. Bobby Roberson and many other great men of God.

Fire for the Future Website

I hope to see you there! Please PM me if you would like further information.

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I enjoy reading certain articles in the sword of the lord. I have read a few sermons from Mr. Locke. Basically he reads a passage and departs from it. Why don't he try preaching from the Bible instead of using the Bible to get on soapbox concerning his personal little pet peeves. Furthermore, I saw the ad for this conf. in the Sword. Hearing some of these fellows preach it looks to me like it is going to be one of those "see who can top who" kind of meetings.
    The Sword of the Lord has some good stuff in it.
    I get really turned off by Sheldon Smith's continuous pumping up of himself. I've heard him speak before and I personally don't see how he can fit in the same room with his ego?
    John R. Rice was the last editor of the Sword who was really a man of substance.
    I always like to read the quote section of SOL.
    Sheldon Smith who btw, is the editor of SOL always manages to get one of his own quotes published in the quotation section. GIVE ME A BREAK! It just gives me a good chuckle.
    I know I sound mean but I truly am a IFB I just don't care for the SOL good ole boy club. They tend to think that if your not their kind of IFB then your no good at all.

3. FBCPastorsWife

The original post has nothing to do with the Sword of the Lord. Please stay on topic. BTW - Dr. Smith does not choose what quotes go in the paper, he simply approves what Miss V picks. [​IMG]

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I get really turned off by Sheldon Smith's continuous pumping up of himself. I've heard him speak before and I personally don't see how he can fit in the same room with his ego?
    John R. Rice was the last editor of the Sword who was really a man of substance.
    I always like to read the quote section of SOL.
    Sheldon Smith who btw, is the editor of SOL always manages to get one of his own quotes published in the quotation section. GIVE ME A BREAK! It just gives me a good chuckle.
    I know I sound mean but I truly am a IFB I just don't care for the SOL good ole boy club. They tend to think that if your not their kind of IFB then your no good at all

Sorry, FBC, one comment and back on topic.

ShannonL,

Have you ever personally met Dr. Smith? He is a great speaker, but also a great man, and on fire for the Lord. I grew up in the Church of the Open Door, in Maryland, when he was the pastor. While I do not agree with some the attitudes I saw in the church growing up, I cannot say anything bad about Dr. Smith, or his wife and family, for that matter. He certainly is not egotistic or self centered. He is one of the most "on fire for the Lord" people I have ever met, and I always thought his main goal to be that of winning souls to the Lord. His teaching has made the biggest impact on my life.

5. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I haven't sat down and had coffee with the man for several hours but I have heard him preach several times. I've been a reader of the SOL for several years. Being a missionary on deputation I have felt first hand the cool reception you get from the camp that Dr. Smith comes from.
    I do know that He did a good work at Open Door. Yet, it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out that from reading his articles that if you don't see it just like him then your not the kind of baptist you ought to be.
    Although I prefer the KJV I'm not KJVO. The Sword and Dr. Smith along with others of their ilk have created a schism in IFB circles that ought not be there by either pushing KJVO or not refuting it.
    I will concede whole heartily that these are merely my perceptions with a somewhat limited knowledge. I may be missing it totally. Just dont' get so close to a ministry or a person that you can't step back and take an objective look yourself. BTW, filmproducer we have been talking over at on the MLK forum. Well when I attended Piedmont Bible College in Winston Salem, NC. I led this couple to the Lord. The man was black and his wife was a kennedy's mixture lets say. They had a cute little boy. Well I was attending Gospel Light where Bobby Roberson is pastoring. I never will forget the cold looks I got, the funny stares we recieved the couple of times I tried to take that couple to church there.
    THey finally found a home at Calvary Bapt. where DR. Mark Cortz pastored for years and years. He was a Bible believeing SBC preacher.
    Alot of your SOL crowd aren't to big on interacial marriage. Especially if it is a black and a white. OH it is just wonderful if a missionary goes to some asian country or something and finds himself a little asian woman to marry or even a indian woman or British or German God doesnt mind that. Boy you just let a white man marry a black woman or vice versa. Now that is a whole different ballgame.
    It is cool if you bus them po black kids in to church but they gots to sit in a whole different part of da building why they might soil our carpet or heaven forbid they might befriend one of our daughters at Sunday school and pray tell they could even get married someday.
    Lots of double standards with the ole SOL crowd and the last i heard Sheldon Smith decided whose in that crowd and whose not. At least that is how he comes across in the Sword.

6. FBCPastorsWife

Last notice shannonL....YOU ARE OFF TOPIC! GET ON IT AND KEEP THE RACE ISSUE TO YOURSELF!

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

You are off topic Shannon, but I agree with you. ;)

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

BTW I knew Greg Locke personally. He is nice guy and I love him in the Lord, but I totally disagree with his preaching style.

9. shannonL

shannonL New Member

So Dr. Smith doesn't pick the quotes that go into the Sword he just approves the one's he likes.
    He must like alot of his "own" quotes. HA!HA!
    Maybe my posts hit a little close to home? I think it is dispicable how they bus kids into alot of these churches because they love them. Fine, I'm sure they do. I'm all for getting people in to hear God's Word. It sends an odd message to those kids don't you think when they go to "seperate" services from the regular church services. THis is not the case in every church but it is in most of them. It kind of gives off the vibe to the kids "Oh I'm kinda second class"
    It is God's house it was paid for with His money not the congregation's. I bet if Jesus was teaching those kids he wouldn't have seperate services.
    BTW, FBCpastorswife, I went to your church's website. It is well done. I'm sure you folk have a deep burden for the Lord. Just make sure that your church and its direction isn't merely a carbon copy or cookie cutter type ministry of those men yall admire so much.
    Also, I just think it so unfair to women that they have to go around with skirts to their knees but men like yall's soulwinning pastor can eat like a hog and be a poor testimony for Christ behind the pulpit but himself and guys like him get a pass. The south is littered with fat bellied preachers that love to tell women how they ought to dress but nobody ever reminds them that they ought to show some discipline at the table.
    I especially get irritated while on deputation. I 'm traveling with my wife and three daughters who BTW don't wear skirts and dresses every second of the day. Anyway,I'm as fundamental in my doctrine as some of these preachers who like to peek into my car when I arrive to see if my wife and daughters have a dress on.
    Kind of makes me want to go up to them with their big, guts full of to much baptist bird and just say "Hey bud being a glutton is a sin".
    Dont get me wrong. I love fire and brimstone preaching. I left the SBC and became IFB by conviction. I believe in standards and things like that. I enjoy traditional music no CCM for me. You have to have balance though.
    I can tell you right now what they are gonna be preaching on at that conf. One topic will be the KJ bible. That will probably be mentioned by every speaker at least twice everytime they get up to preach. Then they will talk about CCM and its evils. Seperation will be a topic. Somebody will talk about how alot of IFB have gone "neo-evangelical and such. Which all this has its place in context. I'm just saying that will be alot of what goes on.
    Most of those evangelists will bring their
    "sugar stick" messages. Some will talk about how their's is a dying breed.Nobody is taking a stand anymore. Well , there not standing like "they" think others should anyway.
    Well, I'm rambling. Probably going to get put off this "topic".
    I'm afraid many in the SOL circles get all caught up in "following a man" Instead of following the Lord's leading. Jack Hyles was a good preacher when he started out The Sword pumped him to the hilt. His head swelled up mighty big so big that towards the end there his personal life was often questioned. I hope young Mr. Locke doesn't get all caught up in all of that. It is obvious that he came out of nowhere and now the Sword is pushing his ministry all the time.
    Later on. enough of my "musings". I hope all who attend the conf. are ministered to in a mighty way. I hope some folk get saved. Good day.

10. FBCPastorsWife

Originally posted by shannonL:
    Maybe my posts hit a little close to home?

No...actually you just have no idea how to stay on topic of the original post!

BTW, FBCpastorswife, I went to your church's website. It is well done.

Thanks...I'll be sure to let my husband know since he does the website.

I'm sure you folk have a deep burden for the Lord. Just make sure that your church and its direction isn't merely a carbon copy or cookie cutter type ministry of those men yall admire so much.

We have a very deep burden for the things of our Lord and Saviour. The direction of our church is guided only by Christ as the Shepherd as every local church should be!

Also, I just think it so unfair to women that they have to go around with skirts to their knees but men like yall's soulwinning pastor can eat like a hog and be a poor testimony for Christ behind the pulpit but himself and guys like him get a pass. The south is littered with fat bellied preachers that love to tell women how they ought to dress but nobody ever reminds them that they ought to show some discipline at the table.

So where did this issue get brought up from our website? I don't recall our church having a dress code. Our workers have a standard that they uphold but at no time is this ever enforced on visitors, regular attenders or even members.

As far as our soulwinning director...how dare you make such bold statements that attack his Christian testimony. He is an avid soul winner who goes out daily and witnesses for the Lord. He is a great asset to our church and people have only the highest regard for Bro. Danny. It seems as though you base a lot on image which in and of itself seems very sinful to me. Perhaps before you judge someone based on their size you should try to understand why it happened to them. That dear brother has struggled with his weight all his life and is trying so hard to do something about it. Instead of insulting him...why don't you pray for him.

I especially get irritated while on deputation. I 'm traveling with my wife and three daughters who BTW don't wear skirts and dresses every second of the day. Anyway,I'm as fundamental in my doctrine as some of these preachers who like to peek into my car when I arrive to see if my wife and daughters have a dress on.
    Kind of makes me want to go up to them with their big, guts full of to much baptist bird and just say "Hey bud being a glutton is a sin".

Once again...all about appearance. Sounds like a hangup to me!

I can tell you right now what they are gonna be preaching on at that conf. One topic will be the KJ bible. That will probably be mentioned by every speaker at least twice everytime they get up to preach. Then they will talk about CCM and its evils. Seperation will be a topic. Somebody will talk about how alot of IFB have gone "neo-evangelical and such. Which all this has its place in context. I'm just saying that will be alot of what goes on.
    Most of those evangelists will bring their
    "sugar stick" messages. Some will talk about how their's is a dying breed.Nobody is taking a stand anymore. Well , there not standing like "they" think others should anyway.

Well, I will be sure to let Greg know that you have already decided what will be preached this year. Last year's conference was nothing but encouraging messages! It was about getting the fire back in your bones...being on fire for God! There were so many lives changed by last year's messages...including mine.

Well, I'm rambling.

The first truthful statement you have made on this post!

I hope young Mr. Locke doesn't get all caught up in all of that. It is obvious that he came out of nowhere and now the Sword is pushing his ministry all the time.

I think after ten years of travelling the world with the message of Christ, Bro. Greg is entitled just as much as anyone else to be in a Christian newspaper once in a while.

I hope all who attend the conf. are ministered to in a mighty way. I hope some folk get saved.

As long as God is in control as He was last year...I'm sure God's blessings will be poured out mightily.

11. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Being a glutton is a sin. Unless it is some kind of genetic problem your associate needs to start walking everyday,start pushing back from the table etc... It isn't just appearances. It is a matter of self control and discipline. A pastor or leader's credablity is weakened when folk look at him and see that he can't control his ownself.
    Some do suffer from that dreaded "hand to mouth" disease though. Its caused by failing to keep the fork from entering the mouth via the hand.
    I'm just messing around. You failed to get the analogy. What I'm saying is some IFB preachers pick and choose what they consider right or wrong.Why should I listen to a big, fat glutton of a preacher tell me how to live right? Grant it we all sin its just that when your a glutton the cosequences of your sin can be seen by all the world. Therefore if at all possible a person in leadership should do their best to not look like a glutton. Another example: Some baptist would have a fit if a preacher had a beard or long hair. Why that is sinful as can be. But brother Joe who is as fat as sow can be clean shaven, short haired and all that and nobody will say anything. Even if he what he has to eat at the dinner on the grounds would take two dump trucks to hold it all.
    I didn't make all these standards or what have you for appearances. Legalistic baptists did. I guess since they are the judges and they made the rules they get to pick the ones they like.
    Which is worse A fat pig of a preacher behind the sacred desk or a long haired hippy? Just trying to get you to see a little bit of what I'm trying to say.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shannon, I'm going to put my digital size nines in on this. This thread was started as an invitation to a Conference. It was not started to discuss The Sword of the Lord. So, please stay on topic. Otherwise, this thread will be closed.

[ January 14, 2006, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

13. standingfirminChrist

Squire, I cannot attend the conference, but I will pray for all that attend.

Blessings, my Brother.

In Christ Jesus,
    Ron

14. FBCPastorsWife

Thank you Squire [​IMG]

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wish I could be there, FBCPastorsWife! Tell Pastor Mike Norris John said to have it in Japan next time! ;)

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

WIsh I could go, FBCPastorsWife!

Im sure it will go spledidly!