1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

First 6 months

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This arises from something Salty mentioned about just beginning his current church yesterday.

What would you or have you majored on in your messages during your first 6 months at a church?

I'll start. On Sunday momrnings, I did almost straight salvation messages for the first 3 months and then moved to assurance of salvation. for the next 3 months.

On Sunday nights, we did a study of the church and doctrinal studies.

Please just say what you did or planning on doing rather than how wrong someone was to do it the way they did... (As if that's possible for us Baptists! :saint: )

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I jumped right into a study of one of the shorter NT books - 1 John or James. Practical books with a lot of application.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. It quickly shows what genuine Christianity looks like.

4. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

This past Sunday actually marked my first year at my present church! For the first six months I focused on a series of sermons on "Obtaining a Vision" and then turned to salvation messages on Sunday morning. On Sunday nights I started them off by preaching through 1st and 2nd Timothy. On Wednesday nights I started them off with teaching through the book of Romans, which we will complete this coming Wednesday.

5. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I would preach through a book of the Bible.

Yet, I had a wise preacher who said that the only major thing you need to do your first year was to just keep showing them how many ways Jesus is exalted in the pages of Scripture.

6. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did a series on the 10 Commandments - with the final message of the series summarizing all 10 in the command to LOVE. I thought it went well...

7. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH - and about 3 months after I started here, I did an evening series on... drum roll please.... the 5 points of Calvinism!!

But before anyone thinks I lost my mind...

This was basically a response to what I found when I came here - a complete misunderstanding of what Calvinism really teaches. I kept hearing Calvinism portrayed completely out of context and reality - so much so that anyone who didn't have any idea what Calvinism was, would be completely confused and mislead. I did not teach/preach as an advocate of Calvinism - but as much as possible as a survey of what Calvinism is. Each week, I did another part of TULIP. I got mixed comments - though mostly appreciated what I was trying to do. After it was all said and done, some even commended me for the way I handled the subject (and at least one of these from a staunch "anti-Calvinist"... who actually believes at least 3 points of Calvinism...go figure).

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I typically preach through James or Philippians to get them exposed to book-by-book exposition. I do about 8 weeks on the purpose of the church. I also hit the gospel and assurance of salvation pretty hard in morning services. I have also preached through the Baptist Faith and Message.

Context is critical. Depends on what the church needs. Try to always be expository, preach the gospel as a reminder and common ground, then go from there.