1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

First baptism?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by computerjunkie, Dec 7, 2003.

1. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

We have a new minister, seminary graduate, who has never baptized anyone...until today! We baptize almost every Sunday and have a minister "rotation", so we put him in the "rotation". Today was his day!!

He was a nervous wreck all week! He admitted to our Senior Pastor that he was scared to death because he had never baptized anyone before. A couple of the other pastors took him up to the baptistry this week, showed him how to do it, and what to say.

I had prayed specifically for him this morning, and he did a great job!! He baptized a little girl, didn't forget any of the right things to say, and didn't drown her!!

Do any of you have any "first baptism" stories to tell? Were you nervous the first time you baptized someone?

CJ

2. Pastorba

Pastorba New Member

My first baptism came about 4 weeks into my first pastorate here. When the church was built they decided for some reason to build a fellowship hall first and meet in it with the hopes of adding a sanctuary later. This being the case we have no baptistry. This isn't a problem in the warmer months we just go out to the local lake and baptize in full public view at the beach (it is very cool!).

Anyway back to my first baptism. When it is cold we have to use another church's baptistry. I had just that week had lunch with the pastor of the Church of Christ in town (you know the ones who believe in baptismal regeneration) and called to see if we could borrow their church for a baptism. He said we could. The baptistry was sort of, well, it was really "mossy" it was slick and both I and the 8 year old girl I baptized almost both went under while walking in! Needless to say, I haven't borrowed their baptistry again!