1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

First Baptist of Providence

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Salty, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do, but I won't get my nose out of joint if you insist it was instead in Newport.

3. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

First Baptist, Providence

I don't know if it was the first one, or if Newport was.

My wife and I got a tour of that building in 1993. Sadly the ministry is a bastion of liberalism today. We picked up a bulletin from the previous Sunday to learn that Lionel Ritchie had performed the offertory in the morning service!

There was revival and the blessing of God there in the formative years.

The architecture of the building is simple but attractive. The single Waterford Crystal chandelier in the place is stunning. It was originally lit with candles I believe, but has since been electrified.

Brown University is also in Providence. It was a Baptist school where Judson sent his children. It is now a typical Ivy League school.

4. Beth

Beth New Member

yes, very liberal

I'm from Rhode Island, and went to Brown for my bachelors. It is sooo liberal! I was unsaved in those days, but even as an unsaved person I stayed away from the immorality rampant at the dorm parties!

I'll always remember that during Freshman week we were given our own copy of the University newspaper...the lead article was all about how you are now to figure out your OWN identity, your OWN morals....this was the time to EXPERIMENT!

And that was back in 1978! Think of what it must be like now! :tear:

Beth

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would still like to go there next year for my vacation

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think FBC Newport claims to predate FBC Providence by a year or two. I don't think we ought to blow off the claim. I'd like to know more about the arguments for each side.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Given enough time haven't all of them gone down that road?

9. Josh the Baptist

Site Supporter

I believe many consider Newport to be the FBC due to the fact that the Providence church was such a poor example. It did disband in 1638 and many historians have doubt that Williams actually formed it. Apparently, it was common knowledge that the church was began by Browne, Wickenden, Dexter, Olney, Tillingast, etc. in 1639. If this is true then the believers meeting in the wilderness at Newport would be two years earlier in 1637. Now the church at Newport was not gathered until 1644, but these believers were banished in 1637. It's difficult to fathom that these banished believers would not form a church until 1644 under the leadership of John Clarke. God only knows. At any rate, the church at Newport is considered to be a better model by many.