1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Fishers of Men'

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Oct 3, 2006.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

What kind of fish did they catch?

Or, what kind of fish did they keep?

Now a days we have all kinds of laws and local regulations about the kind of fish we can keep and what must be thrown back. Back in the days that our Lord was walking the planet, (as far as i can tell) they had the Law.

Fins and scales. Everything that did not have both, were declared an abomination or unclean . So when Jesus calls to Simon, Andrew, James and John, who were all business partners in the fishing business, they probably only kept the “clean” fish an threw back the rest, correct? Jesus tells them that they will be ‘fishers of men’. Now, is there any correlation between the types of fish they were permitted to keep and the men that they are to fish for? It seems that the fish is a type of men. We keep [and eat] some the fish, but some we cannot because they are unclean and an abomination. Should some men that we catch in our nets, be thrown back? Like that ‘brother’ in 1 Cor. 5?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

mmm . . . any correlation to the parable of the wheat and the tares?

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Very profound!

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

And sometimes a fish is just a fish.

5. Rex77

Rex77 Member

richard n koustas quote
    -------------------------------------
    It seems that the fish is a type of men. We keep [and eat] some the fish, but some we cannot because they are unclean and an abomination. Should some men that we catch in our nets, be thrown back? Like that ‘brother’ in 1 Cor. 5?
    ---------------------------------------

Thrown back? -- No set aside, but still Saved

1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Or the dragnet...

Everything God cleansed is clean so even if they caught a 10lb lobster, the blood of Christ can make it white as snow...

Matthew 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...I've never tried to eat anyone I've witnessed to. They're probably too tough.

:tongue3:

8. richard n koustas

Good point, but I think you mean "whiter than snow". Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.--Ps 51:7

leprousy was "white as snow"...

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Good point, plus by the time the snow passes through all the polution.... You know what happens?

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or perhaps Isaiah 1:18
    though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow

11. richard n koustas

this white as or whiter than snow thing has me thinking.

instead of hijacking my own thread, maybe i'll just start another a new one on the color of snow....