1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Five Core Values of a Gospel People

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not remember where I ran acorss this listing of core values of being a gospel community, but I like what this list says.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet devoid of any scripture.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I do not believe the 5 marks of a gospel people could be attained without following scripture.

Why are you always so negative. We, as Christians, have Christ and that should make us a happy, positive people ... not a negative, whining, criticizing people.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no way anyone could know that since you posted none.

Spurious

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know if it was original with them but in 1996, the Baptist Union of Great Britain came up with that. I know nothing about them theologically.

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be the source. I know, because of the date on my note, that I was in International Baptist Seminary in Prague at that time.

I believe it is a good list and one that we as Christians should strive to meet. It will not be easy. But Christ did not call us to an easy life or a self-serving life. Many of his teaching are hard and greatly ignored by far too many Christians. But by following and attempting to live out Christ's hard teachings will in the long run bring joy, a positive attitude, a love of people of all types and cultures and an understanding that we do not live for self but for others. Christ calls us to a life of discipleship. He does not allow for 'cheap grace' as written about by Bonhoeffer, that grace we bestow on ourselves and ignore Christ's call to action and following him to and through the tough places .... a discipleship that may cost us our lives.

#6 Crabtownboy, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite the utilitarian mentality itself. Christ came to give the message of a Holy and righteous God (Matt 4:17, 11:20). Evil to God is not what happens between men but what happen in rebellion to God (Matt 13:49-50)

So where and when did Jesus transcend anything to do with gender? Using the phrase "rejected" and then including those anyone who meets the liberal definition is spurious when you fail to address that God himself will reject many.

This is to vague to even address

So long as it is based solely on scripture

Sounds ok but rather vague and lacks scripture as does the whole group of principles. So where is your scripture?

8. Sakuras

Sakuras New Member

Crabtownboy,

Hello. What is "cheap Grace"?

Thank you.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cheap grace is any attempt to define it by avoiding man's sin problem, the Holiness of God, the wrath of God, the cross and the Blood of Christ. Now liberals will point strictly to a lack of discipleship as they define it. In their world if you do not live to make man happy (utilitarinaism) then you are not a disciple of Christ. When in reality and according to scripture our purpose or the purpose of discipleship is to glorify God not to make man happy and pursue social justice. Theirs is a false religion of utilitarianism.

10. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello Crabtownboy

You said, in response to Revmitchell’s statement.........
    All he said was.......
    And I see this as a valid criticism.
    --------------------------------------------------
    We are living in a day, when we need to be careful not to accept things, just because they sound flowery and good.

1 Corinthians 1:17
    For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

1 Corinthians 2:1
    And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

1 Corinthians 2:4
    And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

1 Corinthians 2:13
    Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

2 Peter 1:16
    For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

It doesn’t matter how “good” something might sound, if it is not based on Scripture it is dangerous.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev NOT Negative, Just Speaking the Truth...

The Rev is not being negative, my brother, he is simply asking you to back up your core values with the Word of God which is important when it comes to putting out teaching.

One example was Jesus when He spoke to the Devil after His 40 day fast and was tempted by the Devil to commit certain sins. How did Jesus teach the multitudes as well as the Devil? He used scripture as His main focal point.

All preaching should be based upon, and supported by the Word of God. I personally see the potential scritpure that would support your points, but, your points would be more impressive to the general reader had in fact you included scritpure to support these core values.

Rev isn't being critical of your five values, just thorough, which shows the non-believers we know what we're talking about. Why don't you resubmit your core values with supporting scripture, it would impress the multitudes.

Pastor Paul:type: