1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Five Points

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Van, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then we can get into absoluteism as well.....and I don't mean the vodka:laugh:

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) You asked the question and I answered it. The fact you claim you did not know what Calvinism teaches, that we were condemned or saved before the foundation of the world is difficult to believe.

2) No, I do not believe we were condemned as individuals before our conception, our creation. Certainly as descendants of Adam, we were condemned corporately with the Fall of Adam, and since God chose His Lamb before the foundation of the world, God's redemption plan formulated before the foundation of the world included the Fall. You do not choose a Redeemer unless you have a plan that includes folks needing redemption.

3) We were not "sinners" before we were created.

4) Yes, we were not chosen for salvation as individuals before our lifetime. Romans 8:33 precludes that possibility. We lived without mercy before we obtained mercy. 1 Peter 2:9-10 We were not a people before we became a people.

5) God deals with us individually during our lifetime. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 teaches He chose us for salvation through faith in the truth. He sets us apart individually when He puts us in Christ, 1 Corinthians 1:30.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no need to respond to the absurdities spewed forth by the Calvinist denying (1) everyone was bought, Jesus paid the ransom for all; (2) we were chosen through faith in the truth; and (3) John 6:29 is translated by Dr. Wallace (in the NET) as the deed required by God.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    fine by us, or by me.
    personally, I've been feeling foolish responding to your musings as well.
    might as well talk to the old folks at the alzheimer's clinic back in virginia.
    what they say makes more sense.
    lol.
    bye.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Returning to topic, Calvinism denies scripture after scripture. John 6:29 does not say (in context) God requires us to put our trust in Christ. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 does not say God chose for salvation through faith in the truth. Matthew 23:13 does not say mean were "entering heaven." Bottom line, any scripture, and there are tons of them, that teach Calvinism is mistaken doctrine simple do not mean what they say according the Calvinist defenders of the mistaken doctrine.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rebuttal

No, it is not taught by Calvinism. Calvinism teaches that God will arrange the circumstances for us to be enabled by Irresistible Grace, such at we come irresistibly to faith willingly.

It is the same line of thinking of those in the past who believed that the water baptism of "elect" babies resulted in salvation or assured salvation.

And yes, also in the past, some Calvinists did not see a need for us to send missionaries to China, because God would mysteriously save all His elect.

#26 Van, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    back to talking to yourself, eh, van ?
    just holler "help" if you can't figure out where you are.
    :smilewinkgrin:

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists must talk about their opponents, rather than address the topic because Calvinism is unbiblical, lacking actual support.

Matthew 23:13 says men were entering heaven, but Calvinist posters say they were not going in. All these translations somehow missed the message, NASB, HCSB, NKJV, KJV, YLT, and on and on.

"T" mistaken, see Matthew 23:13
    "U" mistaken, see 2 Thessalonians 2:13
    "L" mistaken, see 1 John 2:2.
    "I" mistaken, see Matthew 23:13.

Not only does faith come before regeneration, faith comes before individual election. (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You totally misinterpret that passage!

NO unregenerate sinner can even see their need for salvation, much less try to enetr it in freely of their own "free will!"

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, Calvinists simply deny Matthew 23:13 says what it says, which can be read by anyone, and then charge me with "totally" misinterpreting that passage. Folks, this is all they have, denial and demonize. Men were entering heaven.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you please cite any Calvinist who made such a claim that you have asserted above?

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, I'd like to leave you alone to talk to yourself but who knows something might get through the thick fog of your rabidly hateful anti-Calvinism. Perhaps you do not know that Calvinists abounded in the history of missions from the beginning.
    Just that they did not go 'door knocking' and asking people to accept Jesus as their personal Savior like modern missionaries do.
    Yeah, they had tracts and stuff, but for the most part they set up house and did what they could for the locals and invited them to services.
    For example, if an old time missionary Calvinist were a doctor, he would go about doing what he could for the locals medically and introduce Christianity in a way that is different from how things are done today.
    Did you know, for example, what the soteriology of the likes of David Livingston, William Carey, or Hudson Taylor, was ?
    Try doing a little research on your "enemies".
    Besides, if God wants to mysteriously save His elect, what have you got against it ?
    Oh, yeah, it hurts your pride that you can have no part in the glory.
    I get that.

13. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Indeed, you did answer my question and I appreciate it. Sorry, I only meant by "please don't tell me what Calvinists believe" that I desired to keep the conversation focused on the particular questions at hand.

It is beyond my finite mind to imagine how God brings a soul into existence. However, I know from my experience that when I am engaged in the creative process that I must conceptualize the object of my creative activity before and as I am creating it. The created thing bears the characteristics that I conceived for it before it is actually realized in time-space. For example, if I desire my final creation to be 'round' then I have first conceived it as 'round' in my mind.

Therefore, it seems to me that God must have conceived 'of' me (with all my attributes) before he brought me into physical existence. God placed me in America, at the turn of the 21st century, as a caucasian; He also set my intellectual limit, and my spiritual destiny. How could He not have? I don't believe God created anything in some sort of directionless vacuum. And all those preceding factors would have absolute bearing on my final condition.

Setting any "inherited sin" aside momentarily, God knew that indeed I would sin and thus He knew me as a sinner from the start (that is, whatever point you may consider your beginning). Someplace between Eternity Past and my entry into the world, God knew me exactly as I am. And He loved me while I was yet a sinner. And He saved me. He put my name in His book.

Are my views very different than yours?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When he has to resort to that...shows you he is out of bullets.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer

Yes, I expect they are, but unless you present your views, I really do not know.

Your view did not include any scripture cited as support. I believe what the Bible says, and try to avoid plunging past the logical necessities of that revelation.

Scripture says God forms our spirit within us, and so as He forms us, we take shape conceptually. To point farther back is to simply engage in speculation.

Certainly scripture supports you with the idea that God did not create us in a directionless vacuum. He created us according to His purpose, Isaiah 43:7, to bring Him glory.

Yes, we were conceived in iniquity, in a fallen state, separated from God, and corrupted, predisposed to sin.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just Google Primitive Baptists and note they are described as (1) Calvinist Baptists, and (2) Anti-missionary. As I said, Calvinists try to change the subject to the behavior of those holding differing views. Deny and demonize seems to be their battle cry.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The most famous example of this kind of hyper-Calvinism was when John Ryland heard William Carey talking about becoming a missionary to India, and told him, "Sit down, young man. When God decides to save the heathen, He will do it without your help."" Copied from an article on Hyper-Calvinism.

18. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    so, you are saying, Van, that had it not been for missionaries, God's sending His Son to the cruel death of the cross with the end in view of redeeming His people would have been fruitless and futile and the sinless life Christ lived in obedience to His Father, prerequisite to Messiahship, would have been meaningless and powerless ?

19. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your google is out of date. update it, Van.
    if you google PB's hard enough, assuming you honestly want to find out more about this 'peculiar people' among God's peculiar peoples you would have found out that there have been, of late, PB's who have gone out on 'mission' fields, from India to the Philippines to parts of Ghana in Africa.

so we are not anti-missionary, per se.

we are anti-missionism which envelops the following ideas:

1. That God uses missions and missionaries to ETERNALLY save people. Christ ALREADY saved whom He wanted saved eternally and to be with Him in His Father's kingdom, that is, the Heaven which is above the heaven of Heavens. This idea stems from erroneously dividing the word, and applying the word 'save' and 'salvation' only to the eternal destination of the soul.

2, That there is to be a board or some kind of body who determines the qualifications of a minister/missionary. We find no such entity in the New Testament;

3. That these or this governing body determines who to support and how much depending, again, on certain criteria. again, PB's find this to be extra-scriptural if not UNscriptural.

4. That those who feel the call to go out 'into the fields of harvest' need to go into seminaries for degrees, or at the very least, dilly-dally until they have PLEDGES of support.
    We believe if a man feels in his heart he has been called of God to go out and preach the gospel in foreign lands, then he MUST go hastily with no further delay. One of our elders, of these times, pastored a large PB congregation in the deep South.

He was a doctor by profession with more children than I could count with one hand and he sold EVERYTHING he had and used it to go where he felt called, uprooting his entire family, until his wife had medical issues that needed to be attended here after more than five years in the place where he felt called.

so, again, you do err. not knowing the Scriptures (in regards to missions) and not knowing anything first hand about Primitive Baptists.

#39 pinoybaptist, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, it had nothing to do with China.

John Ryland Jr. denied that his father said any such thing as you said he did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.