1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flags in Churches

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Marla

Marla New Member

That puts it into perspective

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The flag code is this.

The US flag always is to be on "it's own right." If on a platform it should be on the speakers right, if it is on the floor it should be on the congregation's right. No "law" so speak here, simply a code of practice.

Saying that, I really don't know what US churches uniquely developed the practice of have a national flag in church. It would be interesting to find out why. I personally have never been in a church outside the US that displayed the national flag.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

C4K is correct on a "flag code". A private entity (yes, that includes a church) may display the flag, as he, she, or it/they deem appropriate. Here is a listing of some common flag 'suggestions' codes and questions.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Personally, I have seen the American flag and the Christian flag displayed on both sides of our local church auditorium, over time. I never got particularly interested in which exact position was technically correct, and frankly would be far more concerned about intentional disrespect to these flags, because of what they symbolize, than about exact proper ettiquette by any, including me, who do not know all the exact details of proper ettiquette and customs.

Ed

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I am showing my age :)

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Is the US flag code an actual civil body of laws? In other words...is flying the flag improperly poor protocol, or is it actually criminal?

Just wondering...

EDIT: Nevermind...I guess one day I'll learn to read the posts before asking questions that got answered. :D

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There are no prenalties, criminal or civil, for 'breaking' the flag code, enacted into law, to my knowledge.

Ed.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Bull pippy. A "Christian" flag would have to be authorized by an ecumenical council. There has been no ecumenical councils for a thousand or so years.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

When our church did some investigation on it they found there are some practices of displaying the flag that were indeed against the law.

9. Believer05

Believer05 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has decided that the American flag should not be displayed outside our church, however it is displayed inside our church, the pledge of allegiance is said in our AWANA Club Meetings, but I cannot understand this, our religious freedoms are due to those who died defending these rights, the American flag was always displayed at my church when I was a child, why do we honor veterans and sing their praises in church but refuse to display it outside our churches, if we cannot display the flag of our country outside we should not sing it’s praises inside the church, I’m now looking for a church that is not hiding patriotism behind closed doors trying to not offend the left wingers of this world

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously?

11. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an American invention, a product of the Cold War. Pretty silly.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no reason for an American flag to be posted inside or outside a church. A civil religion ill-becomes Baptists. If you want it, fine. But I can't see that it adds anything to true religion.

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, seriously. What does one look like? A cross? We don't have anything remotely like it over here.

14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

15. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thx. Just comes across as weird on this side of the Pond. A total non issue for us

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've never seen this outside the US.

BTW, here you will see the Episcopal flag in those churches.