1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flags in the church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is right and acceptable, even expected, that we should pray and honor God in celebrations of the State. But should we honor and praise the State during the worship of God? Is the Lord's Day worship of God Almighty the right time to render tribute and honor to God, or to man? Is the context of Romans 13 in the corporate worship of the Church?

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes, it was nationalistic, and it was not a commandment of God. It was practiced in the synagogue, and Jesus did not have a problem with it.

Well, judging by the reaction we always see whenever anyone brings up the subject of flags or nationalism in church a great many ears are tickled when someone tells them they are right to oppose such things!

But God does expect gratitude for the blessings He has bestowed, and many of us see the issue as thanks for where He has put us and for the many good things He has given us. And a willingness to try and preserve them.

The London Baptist Confession was, after all, simply opinions of some admittedly learned men in 1689. It is not Scripture. There were, and are, just as many learned men who took the normative view: that God does not have a greatly different set of rules for behavior inside church as opposed to outside of the church building.

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I made two arguments. First it was nationalistic and secondly that it was the circumstances. Thus, this situation does not apply to the Regulative Principles as they still upheld the proper elements of worship but used a circumstance to Worship, which I do not have a problem with circumstances but I would have a problem with changing the elements.

How do we know what is right and wrong in worship? I contend the tickling of ears is in more check when we obey the regulative principles, the principles that God setup for worship. Remember, adding traditions of man is condemned by Jesus Christ. I prefer not to add it to our worship.

I believe in thanking God for the many good things He has given to us. I do not see pledging allegiance to a flag or invoking nationalism is appropriate. The people who gather are not greeks, jews, male, or female, but they are the "church" gathering. As a Church we gather, not as Americans.

The London Baptist Confession is a statement of man, just like everything written on this topic on both sides. That is why I quoted and cited Scripture and referenced ideas like Nadab and Abihu when God condemned their offering something He did not command, talked about Jesus' condemnation of the traditions of man, and the like.

I do not believe I am as smart as God and that I should come under subjection to God's Word. We should not add to it.

4. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

It was obviously a typo.

5. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Yes, but while I was willing he was not willing to provide sources that he would show that I am wrong. Rather, he jettisoned the conversation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.