1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flight 93 Families Want Bush to Seize Crash Site

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Magnetic Poles, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Some of the families of the passengers of Flight 93 want President Bush to seize the crash site from its owner so a memorial can be built.

Story is HERE.

#1 Magnetic Poles, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
  2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Speedly Bureaucratic Progress -- a double oxymoron at best.

What Bush could do (since he's s-o-o-o much in favor of this memorial) is to sign an Executive Order seizing that big ranch in Crawford TX while the bureaucrats hash this thing out. :thumbs:

But then who do you suppose would be billed for the logistical and transport fees back and forth to and from Somerset County PA and Crawford TX? Let me guess............. :smilewinkgrin:

The owner(s) of the land(s) in question are certainly due their 5th Amendment rights to fair compensation for having their land(s) seized by the government [Especially if real-estate developers want their properties!] , but to needlessly prolong this debacle (as the memory of the brave actions of the passengers and crew of Flight 93 rapidly fades from our collective memory of their willingness to sacrifice their own lives to save the lives of those at whatever the hijackers had targeted that plane to destroy) is---in itself--a tragic crime. :tear:

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People want all sorts of things.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

:laugh: Yes they do. This one actually has a chance of happening. It is unfortunate for the owners that this crash happened here, but I also understand the need for the memorial and for fair compensation if eminent domain is invoked.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The numbers I read are:
    That's a million dollars. The federal legislation for the memorial was passed and signed in 2002.
    I feel as much sympathy for Svonavec Inc. as I do for the farmers whose fields were turned into Gettysberg National Cemetary. An occurance of national importance happened on their property. If President Bush runs out of time before he can start the eminent domain process, then it will be up to President Obama to do so.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

As usual, the story omits information required to analyze the story. What is the assessed value of the land? How does assessed valuation compare with sale prices in that county? Has the company been getting revenue from the land?

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These questions are the heart of the matter. The best I can figure out it the quarry company is trying to get has much money as they can from the government or they are just flat not interested in selling at any price. If the second, they're going to get less from eminent domain than they would from a negotiated price.