1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Florida lawmakers debate offering a Christian license plate

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by rbell, Apr 25, 2008.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9083RK80&show_article=1

[​IMG]

This should make for a fun debate. Some thoughts I have (some are kind of outside the box):

• Is Florida willing to do the Muslim, Jewish, Catholic, and Hindu plates? Atheist plates that say, "I don't believe?" Regardless of how you feel....in today's world, you know that's coming...
    • (this particular point has nothing to do with faith) I personally dislike specialty plates--all of them. From a law enforcement standpoint...in Alabama, it's darn near impossible to tell what state plate you're looking at (AL has about 3,000,000 specialty plates). I've been a victim of a hit and run...and getting a license plate that is on the run is hard enough. You can't even tell what state many of these are! (that was the case in my situation) I wish our states would only offer standard state plates. But......these suckers are money-makers for the state, so that ain't happening.
    • Can you imagine how much money the State of Florida is going to have to spend in attorneys fees and court costs defending this?
    • Of course, the ACLU's argument is, "This promotes religion...which violates the 1st Amendment." What say you......does this promote religion....or is it just someone's personal expression? I think I lean here to the latter, since this plate is totally optional.
    Honestly, I'm conflicted just a bit. On one hand, I'm tired of the assault on Christians, and when in doubt, I'm going to lean toward free speech. But, I do think with this, you make it hard to shut the door on other world religions having their own plates. Of course, the ACLU has come out hollering....and I don't think I could agree with them, ever...I might end up hospitalized. :laugh:

I am serious, btw, that I think specialty plates are a terrible idea (from an ID and simplicity standpoint). And if the states would just not have them, we'd have to fight about something else. :D

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If this passes, the taxpayers of Florida will be spending money defending it instead of on schools, roads, and other needs. If someone wants to send this message, there's always bumper stickers. And where does it end? Like you said, rbell, every subsegment of society will want a special plate.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It is the expression of an individual. If the Muslim, Atheist, Jew or the Penguin with his flipper between his legs:laugh: wants it then so be it.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see it now.
    1. People with specialty license plates protesting discrimination because they think they got a ticket based on what their plate says
    2. People who are not believers who will get the plate and drive aggressively on purpose to give Christians a bad name
    3. Christians who will drive aggressively and give themselves a bad name because they forget about what the plate says
    4. Muslims getting their own plates and slashing tires on cars that don't have muslim plates.
    5. Lawsuits about the freedom of expression when someone puts p*rn on their plate
    6. I could go on and on

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

6 more reasons to do away with specialty plates.

#3 is probably truer than we wish it was....I have a ton of weaknesses personally, but being an angry driver is just not one of them. That's just not among the sins I struggle with. But I get amused sometimes, and saddened at other times, watching folks with Christian/church/etc. bumper stickers act like madmen (or madwomen?)

6. Magnetic Poles

So let 'em get a bumper sticker or a personalized license plate frame. That way, the state stays out of it. If it is individual, the state has no business doing it. I agree that there should be NO specialty plates.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

This is kind of like the school that says "no" to ALL groups--religious or otherwise--meeting on its campus: If it is absolutely consistent (and and across-the-board "no" is), I have no problems with it. It's that "selective refusal" that gets me exercised.

The purpose of a license plate was never supposed to be "self-expression." It is so that one can identify a car. Since driving is a privilege and not a right, the can of worms could be completely closed up, and there would be little problem after that.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So we throw out the baby with the bath water then. We have developed a culture of If not God then we'll have no god at all. I firmly believe that the Holy Spirit will overcome all obstacles of men. If given equal billing.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh my goodness I don't believe it--I actually agree with MP about something.:thumbs:

I think it's all about the money. Maybe the state thinks if people will pay more for a specialty plate, the state will get more money in profits. Perhaps they are hoping Christians will put their money where their mouth is and pay up for a designer plate. Just another excuse to get more revenue, that's all. In this case, it will backfire if they generate a bunch of legal fees.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

We have a license plate for LIfe and the pro choice crowd cried foul and filed suit. They Lost. The money for Life goes to fund adoptions. I do not know just where the funds will go for the "I believe" tag, but yes it would be for the money.

11. targus

targus New Member

Yes, they do charge an extra fee for these specialty plates.

The first sentence in the article provided by the link in the opening post says that there are already over a hundred specialty plates available to choose from.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The first specialty tag that came out in the Great State of Florida was the Challenger Tag. I bought one because the money went to the building of a memorial for those Astronauts. It is clear that a small fee was taken for the tag's production as well as fees for the usual road use and wot not. If it brings the State extra funds on a voluntary basis then I'm all for it. It's the funds that are taken at IRS gun point I don't like.

13. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. I didn't know that. I assumed the state kept all the funds.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

"In God We Trust" The bill creating the "I Believe" plate would also create an "In God We Trust" plate to benefit the children of soldiers and law enforcement officers whose parents have died.

The group asking for the "I Believe" plate, the Orlando-based nonprofit Faith in Teaching Inc., supports faith-based schools activities. The plate would cost drivers an extra $25 annual fee.

15. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

The government takes too much of my money as it is. If they want special plates they should be made at no extra charge. We could have a variety to choose from.

I'd just keep the ones I have though. This plate looks too Catholic for my tastes.

16. Magnetic Poles

Now just wait...this precedent sets the stage for a NARAL tag with money going to fund abortions.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Yes it could but it would only be funded by those that will lay their $25 down and screw it into their bumper. They are very free to go around and point to themselves and say "Hey look at me, I'm a baby killer."

However, I can buy a specialty tag that has the logo of the charity and drive around and say "Hey look at me, I support Christian Schools." Now which one do you think would get the most donations. Their logo happens to be a stained glass window with a cross and it has got the ACLU in a tizzy. It is likely that it will not pass. However the other tag is just as valid a charity IN God we Trust will support the children of fallen soldiers and police officers of the Great State of Florida.

#17 Palatka51, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    emphasis mine

Therein lies the rub!!

The libs want you to help pay for their pet projects, but for conservatives to pay their own way.