1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Florida loses another ridiculous legal battle

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought Republicans and Conservatives are supposed to be concerned about everything being constitutional. But Florida Republicans passed law have been declared unconstitutional ... again.
    I guess they believe the 1st Amendment applies only to them.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the court's decision.

Your link was an editorial, and a badly written one.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What on earth did Florida need this law for? If you don't want to answer the physicians questions about guns in the house, tell him it's none of his business. That's like telling a doctor dealing with an alcoholic you can't ask if he's got any alcohol in the house.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

I have ad to go to the Eroom a couple of times over the last couple fo years. They have never asked me about guns but they do ask if I feel safe at home. I tell them it is none of their business what goes on at home.

There is no need for docs to ask about guns. The requirement to do so is far sillier than the attempt to make it illegal. The far left just does not know when to stop meddling. And you have to wonder what the purpose is for doctors to get involved in something like this. What is the agenda? What ever it is it needs to come to an end.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must have missed that--where was the part about doctors required to ask about guns?

6. mandym

mandym New Member

A Miami federal judge has struck down the new law prohibiting Florida doctors from discussing gun ownership with their patients. The ruling extends the legal losing streak of Gov. Rick Scott and right-wing lawmakers, who have set a pathetic record for unconstitutional bills.

Written by the National Rifle Association, the so-called Firearm Owners’ Privacy Act would have prevented concerned physicians from asking patients about guns kept in their houses. It’s a reasonable query in domestic situations in which children might be at risk.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/...r-ridiculous.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What make you think there was a requirement to ask about guns?

8. mandym

mandym New Member

Requirement or not it matters not. Just the asking alone regardless of the motivation is ridiculous, unnecessary, and none of their business.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on the circumstances. After all a patient might bring up the subject.

Are you paranoid about guns?

Do you really believe there should be such a law as that passed by the Florida Republicans?

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then let the patient deal with the nosy doctor, as you did. Do we really need a law curtailing freedom of speech?

It's just another example of the right saying they are against government regulations and for a strict interpretation of the constitution and then they pass laws like this asinine gun-hush law or else want to create a new government program unfunded mandate like photo ID for voter registration. Enough.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange isn't it. The right says they are against government regulations and then they want to pass laws ... which are regulations ... stopping free speech and invading people's privacy ... especially the bedroom.

12. targus

targus New Member

And of course this is code for...

The Republicans opposing partial birth abortion

Republicans not wanting churches to be forced to pay for contraception and abortive drugs

Republicans believing marriage to be between one man and one woman

Republicans wanting parents to know if their minor aged daughters are having an abortion

Republicans wanting women to make an informed choice before having an abortion

Republicans not wanting taxpayer money to pay for abortions

When it comes to "tingles running up his leg" Crabby is sure giving Chris Matthews a run for his money. :laugh:

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that was from out of left field.

<snicker>

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

My doctor concerns himself with medical issues. The only other thing I can remember talking to him about is Obamacare. He is firmly against it. He says it could wreck his practice.

BTW, what a bizarre thread, doctors asking about guns. How strange.

15. targus

targus New Member

You may have accidentially stumbled on to it though.

It is conceivable that Obama could with a few mere words declare that doctors have to ask about guns and then report them to the government as part of the health care system rules.

He did come out of left field with declaring that churches have to provide contraceptive coverage as part of Obamacare.

For some weird reason Obama is obsessed with promoting recreational sex without consequences.

It would not be surprising given what we know about Fast & Furious that he would also want to push some sort of gun control thing through the back door by means of healthcare.