1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Now, I have never tried fly fishing. But for some reason, I have always wanted to give it shot. From what I have seen, there is truly an art to it.

How much do you know about its history?

Did you know fly fishing was first mentioned in writing around the year 200? Or that it originated in Macedonia?

You’ll learn plenty of interesting facts about fly fishing. If you’re like me, the history will amaze you. For example, fishing hooks didn’t always have an eye in them. I bet that made tying them to a line difficult.

This site is a must for avid fishers, or for those who seek esoteric knowledge!

CLICK HERE TO VISIT THIS SITE

[​IMG]

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The romantic image of fly fishing is usually seen on western streams, the fisherman uses wide sweeping swings of his rod to tease the fish and land the fly exactly where he wants it.

Pennsylvania fly fishing uses a much shorter rod and a gentle toss of the lure since the small streams are usually densely covered with brush. Not so romantic an image. The fish are smaller here. The ultra-lite lines and lures used in fly fishing work very well.

We can use the longer fly fishing rods on the upper Deleware where the hatcheries inadvertently stock trout (brown, rainbow, and brookies). One half hour from NYC and you wouldn't know it. No lights visible at night, the skys are wonderful full of stars. The river runs wide and clean and is wadeable (is that a word?). Great fishing country.

Rob

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Being near the Smokies, I've always wanted to give it a try.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Tasmania, fly fishing for Brown Trout is quite the tourist catcher! [​IMG]

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whenever I tried it, I sometimes caught a fish, but never a fly. Them lil rascals can't swim worth a durn!