Food insurance

Discussion in 'All Other Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. Salty

    Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2003
    Messages:
    22,075
    Likes Received:
    217
    I heard a commerical for food insurance on the Glenn Beck program.

    Would you buy food insurance?

    I found this link - I dont know if it is the one advertising on Glenn, but,....

    Would you buy food insurane?
     
  2. donnA

    donnA
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2000
    Messages:
    23,354
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'd like to insure my lettuce against spoilage, think they'll let tme.
     
  3. Salty

    Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2003
    Messages:
    22,075
    Likes Received:
    217
    I think Loyds of London is the only one who does that :laugh:
     
  4. annsni

    annsni
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Messages:
    20,145
    Likes Received:
    365
    Speaking of Lloyds of London - we were dropped from State Farm for our homeowners insurance and when we started looking for a new insurance company, there were two companies that stood out. One is a smaller local company that is backed by another insurance company ..... and Lloyds of London. I was thinking "How cool is that to be insured by them????" LOL We went with the smaller company, though, since it was $500 cheaper per year. But still - we could have been insured by LoL!
     
  5. FriendofSpurgeon

    FriendofSpurgeon
    Expand Collapse
    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2003
    Messages:
    3,052
    Likes Received:
    35
    Cool, but usually expensive. Since Lloyds is not really an insurance company filed and approved in the state, the state premium taxes are usually a bit more. Also, you have more consumer protection with a filed company. However, you may want to find out more about the small local company and who the other insurer is (usually known as their reinsurer).

    We have some of the same problems here. State Farm is pulling out next year and we will be in the same boat. There is the "state public option" that was originally set up as the last resort, but is now the primary insurer (sound eerily familar??).
     
  6. donnA

    donnA
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2000
    Messages:
    23,354
    Likes Received:
    0
    then there no hope for the lettuce?
     
  7. JohnDeereFan

    JohnDeereFan
    Expand Collapse
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2009
    Messages:
    4,628
    Likes Received:
    11
    That's one way to go. I like the backpack option.

    I don't really think it's necessary for us, though. We grow/catch/kill/make about 80% of our food, anyway, and we barter for most of the other 20%.

    With the economy what it is, and with gas prices and oil supply in constant jeopardy, due to our government's unwillingness to detatch itself from the teat of foreign oil, what once was the stuff of conspiracy theories is now not only possible, but likely. The question now is not, "could it happen", but "on what scale will it happen".

    Most people don't produce their own food anymore. Most people don't even know where their food comes from anymore.

    A collapsing economy and the scarcity of gas and oil, which will eventually lead to distribution problems and prohibitive prices, make food shortages a very real possibility. Again, the only question is "when, how long, and how bad".

    So whether it's food insurance, "cow pooling", buying in bulk, or paying farmers for the promise of future produce, chicken, and eggs, people do need to have some kind of a backup or else they're going to find themselves out in the cold.
     
    #7 JohnDeereFan, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009

Share This Page

Loading...