1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Footwashing

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Istherenotacause, May 21, 2003.

1. SAM J SUDDETH

SAM J SUDDETH New Member

2. Tim

Tim New Member

I attended a Mennonite church for several years. Same-gender foot-washing was practiced there, but it was completely voluntary--anyone could opt out, but few did.

It was a moving and meaningful symbol because the people backed it up with their lives, i.e. they really cared about each other.

I believe it's a symbol of humble service to one another, specifically in the context of helping one another live pure lives--cleansing by mutual accountability.

In Christ,

Tim

3. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

I have never actually been in a footwashing service, but I can definitely see it's good. The addage that "Baptists tend to bury their wounded" is very shameful reputation to have, so footwashing would help to relieve the accusation in the least. Also, I believe if we would at least "footwash" our brethren spiritually, there would be much less anymosity in the church towards one another.

In Christ, Ephesians 2:14

Brother Ricky