1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Baptists Only

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tomana, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tomana

tomana Member

I have some questions for the Baptists:

- what scripture if any confirms that the congregation is to choose the bishop/deacons?

- where does scripture say for the congregation to vote believers into the fold?

- in another thread here at BB, there's a discussion going on regarding Rick Warren. Rick has been guest teaching at Calvary Chapel for over 20 years and the same for Greg Laurie of Calvary Chapel who teaches at Saddleback. I know that some years back I read that Saddleback was listed as a Southern Baptist Conference church. Has Saddleback been or is it now officially a Charismatic church?

[​IMG][/IMG]

#1 tomana, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church as democracy (with voting membership) is implicit in the Greek word ekklesia, translated "church" in the NT. (No doubt you know this word.) This word was used of the political assembly of the Greek city-state democracies before NT times, and even for the city assembly of Ephesus (3 times in Acts 19). So voting for the leadership and membership is implicit in the word translated church.

Concerning voting for deacons, that is clear in Acts 6:1-5, where the congregation chose the deacons.

Another passage is clear concerning voting for a pastor. In Acts 14:23 the word xeirotoneo is used in the KJV for "ordain" elders, which is a specific word used for voting with a show of hands.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Paul, writing to the congregation at Rome:
    Romans 14:1
    Note that he is writing to the congregation, giving them instruction about a specific problem. They were to receive his advice as a congregation, and act accordingly. They were to receive into their fellowship one whose faith is not as mature as theirs.

In I Corinthians 5, Paul addresses the issue of the member who is having an affair with his father's wife. He curtly ordered the congregation:
    In Acts 6, we find the selection of the first deacons. In verse three, we see the Twelve telling the congregation at Jerusalem "YOU choose seven men....."

#3 Tom Butler, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Act 6:2 So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables.
    Act 6:3 "Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task.
    Act 6:4 "But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."
    Act 6:5 The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch.
    Act 6:6 And these they brought before the apostles; and after praying, they laid their hands on them. (NASB, emphasis mine)

The apostles here are acting as an elder board would in a church today. They are the spiritual leaders. The people sought men who met the qualifications that the elders set forth. The elders then made the final decision and the ordaining through laying on of hands. The people know one another and should be given an opportunity to ask questions and raise concerns.

As to the Rick Warren issue.....I do remember awhile back that John Piper interviewed Rick Warren and asked him several questions. Warren gave the expected SBC answers and Piper declared him as being SB. Some agreed. Many didn't. I wouldn't let him in my church.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

When my church elected me a deacon, they had an ordination service. The congregation was there, but only ordained men conducted the interrogation, prayed for me and laid on hands.

This seems similar to the process on Acts 6.