1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For KJBOOs: how Version Onlyist was Jesus?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Forever settled in heaven, Feb 9, 2004.

?
  1. Extremely Version-Onlyist, considering all non-Masoretic texts Alexandrian and Dynamically Equivalen

25.0%
  2. Moderately Onlyist, considering merely the 4-fold superiority of the Masoretic Text

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. In angst, weighing the Onlyist position against the corrupting influence of non-Masoretic Bibles

12.5%
  4. Moderately Modern Versionist, allowing certain Bible of the Month Club recommendations into synagogu

62.5%
  5. Violently MV-Onlyist, changing the actual words of the Masoretic Text in disregard of Riplinger's pr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Forever settled in heaven

How Version-Onlyist was Jesus, when he quoted a non-Masoretic Bible authoritatively in Luke 4?

Luke 4
    16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. 17The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
    18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to preach good news to the poor.
    He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
    to release the oppressed,
    19to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

Isaiah 61
    The Year of the LORD 's Favor
    1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
    because the LORD has anointed me
    to preach good news to the poor.
    He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,
    2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
    to comfort all who mourn,

if u feel that Jesus' quotation was identical to Isaiah, but that Luke goofed in his record, u may also indicate it by POSTING below.

2. Forever settled in heaven

so far 2 votes:

Extremely Version-Onlyist, considering all non-Masoretic texts Alexandrian and Dynamically Equivalent! 50% (1)
    Moderately Onlyist, considering merely the 4-fold superiority of the Masoretic Text 0% (0)
    In angst, weighing the Onlyist position against the corrupting influence of non-Masoretic Bibles 0% (0)
    Moderately Modern Versionist, allowing certain Bible of the Month Club recommendations into synagogue readings 0% (0)
    Violently MV-Onlyist, changing the actual words of the Masoretic Text in disregard of Riplinger's protests 50% (1)

where r the rest of the KJBOOs?

hellooooo! i don't bite! ;)

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's also remember the differences in Acts 8 and Isaiah 53 from which Acts 8 quotes as being read by the Ethiopian official and Philip. Now, did Philip say, "No wonder ya don't understand it, chum-You got one of dem new versions there and it don't exalt God like de old one do."

"Well, today's yer lucky day-I got a copy a de OLD Isaiah. So ya cain't read de 800-yr-old Hebrew? Never fear, ME is here, ta read it & translate it. Ya don't really need them Scriptures in YER language-ya allus got peoples like ME ta explain dem! So heave dat bogus scroll in de crick over dere & I'll read de REAL scriptures to ya!"

4. Precepts

Precepts New Member

[​IMG]

Still going in cirles, eh, Cranston? ;)

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    QS, Why don't you explain why Jesus read from a version of Isaiah that isn't the same as the one used to make the KJV translation of Isaiah.

Remember, the Bible (KJB) says that Jesus was reading from the scroll.

6. Anti-Alexandrian

The author of anything written has the right to ADD or make changes as He deems fit.

Take into consideration Matt 5:31-33,and Mark 10:11,Jesus ADDED to Duetoronomy 24:1...

Are you going to "yeah,but...." that one away too?

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Newp! That would be the :confused: Onlyist :confused: who makes statements he/she can't prove.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The author of anything written has the right to ADD or make changes as He deems fit.

Take into consideration Matt 5:31-33,and Mark 10:11,Jesus ADDED to Duetoronomy 24:1...

Are you going to "yeah,but...." that one away too?
    </font>[/QUOTE]YERP!!

YEAH, BUT...

Your argument was torpedoed years ago, by sumpin' like this:

In Luke 4, Jesus was reading/speaking to a skeptical crowd who did NOT believe He was God, as is evident from the context.(His family's right here among us!)Had He not read from the scroll VERBATIM, the crowd would've gone ballistic. There's not one peep of Scripture indicating He added to that written Scripture, as there is in Jeremiah after the king destroyed the first copy.

And of course your point does NOT address the differences between Acts 8 & Isaiah 53.

9. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold to the same exact view that Jesus did when He was on this earth. He was, and I am an "accurate representation of the originals onlyist."

I do not believe for one minute that Jesus would quote/read something as Scripture that was not, in fact, an accurate representation of the originals.

If you do a little searching, there was a thread regarding the Luke 4/Isaiah 61 question a while back. I'd have to dig up the answer I gave, but I do remember that it was the right one. :cool:

10. Forever settled in heaven

here's how the vote's goin:

Poll Results: For KJBOOs: how Version Onlyist was Jesus? (5 votes.)

Choose 1

Extremely Version-Onlyist, considering all non-Masoretic texts Alexandrian and Dynamically Equivalent! 20% (1)
    Moderately Onlyist, considering merely the 4-fold superiority of the Masoretic Text 20% (1)
    In angst, weighing the Onlyist position against the corrupting influence of non-Masoretic Bibles 0% (0)
    Moderately Modern Versionist, allowing certain Bible of the Month Club recommendations into synagogue readings 0% (0)
    Violently MV-Onlyist, changing the actual words of the Masoretic Text in disregard of Riplinger's protests 60% (3)

:eek:

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Bob, I remember Will Kinney's posting some possibilities, but they were more excuses than anything. I, too, don't believe Jesus would read aloud anything BUT Scripture from what was already established as Scripture. After all He reminds us that Scripture cannot be broken.

There's simply no legitimate denial that Jesus was reading from another version of isaiah besides that which is translated into our Bibles. Same with Philip in Acts 8. This is simply more empirical evidence against KJVO. Unlike the Onlyists, WE can support our assertions.

12. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Jesus was reading from Isaiah and that the words He read are accurately translated into the Bible I use.

In Jesus' day, there were no chapter or verse divisions. The portions that He read from that day came from what we know as Isaiah 61:1 and Isaiah 42:7. When Jesus was reading from the scroll that day, these two portions of Scripture may have been together or close enough for Jesus to read them together.

In short, just because they are in one verse in our English Bible doesn't mean that was the way it was written by Isaiah. To arrive at the conclusion that it had to be another version is a rush to judgment IMHO.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having read from the scrolls in a synagogue, I don't think that scenario is possible. Scrolls unroll and would have parallel columns, but usually just a few chapters separating each column.

But agree that it does not mean that the structure of Isaiah in our English Bible is identical to what Jesus read in the synagogue.

14. Forever settled in heaven

fr all the KJBOO excuses i've seen, none stands up to Occam's razor.

anyhow, here's the update:

Poll Results: For KJBOOs: how Version Onlyist was Jesus? (7 votes.)
    Choose 1

Extremely Version-Onlyist, considering all non-Masoretic texts Alexandrian and Dynamically Equivalent! 14% (1)
    Moderately Onlyist, considering merely the 4-fold superiority of the Masoretic Text 14% (1)
    Violently MV-Onlyist, changing the actual words of the Masoretic Text in disregard of Riplinger's protests 71% (5)

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

KJBOO? Is that the ghost of a king james bible onlyist?
    What's the last o stand for?
    Gina

16. Forever settled in heaven

i dunno, u'll havta ask Askjo, who started a thread (still on page 1) called "For KJVO only."

[​IMG]

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

[​IMG] :D [​IMG] :D [​IMG] :D