1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For my bretheren who believe they have a "inerrant, word perfect" KJV, how about this

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

2 Kings 8:26 Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri king of Israel. {daughter: or, granddaughter}

2 Chronicles 22:2 Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.

You see, if you allow for textual criticism, you wouldn't have this problem. But if you believe the KJV is inspired (Yes, you may say, "I'm not saying the KJV is inspired!" but what functional difference is there between your view and Ruckman's or Ray's? [​IMG] )

I emailed Dr. William P. Grady, emailed Dr. D.A. Waite, James Knox, and a host of other KJV only people and only one even attempted to answer it. He did an OK job, but was doing all kinds of grammatical/historical gymnastics to avoid the real issue. I am thankful however that he was honest and tried to deal with it. I have forgotten his name, as he is not a well-known KJV-onlyist.

Dr. Waite just said to call him if I really wanted to know, I haven't done so, or at least yet.

You see, if you were dealing with a Mormon, this would pose a problem if you hold to a 100% perfect *translation* and allow no room for textual criticism (speaking of *lower* criticism of course!).

I mean *NO* ill will toward any brother in Christ, but I only wish combat this erroneous doctrine. This same doctrine has *before my eyes* separated many brothers in Christ and also churches. When I used to be KJV-only I lost one of my best friends because I was too ignorant of the truth to do any better. I'm glad God is so patient with us indeed [​IMG]

2. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

This one is easy...in 2 kings he began to reign over Judah,20 years later he began to reign in Jerusalem and he reigned for one year in Jerusalem just as both texts state. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Where *in the Bible* does it say this?

4. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

2 kings 8 25 says he began to reign over Judah.
    2 chron. 22 1 states he was already king over Judah.

5. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

hope that helps...

6. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Did It Help?

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Here I will side with the guitar man. I see that as a reasonable explanation.

8. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Hey! We are on the right path. C4k how many pages or lines can i post at once?

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Just because I agree with your explanation on one passage is correct DOES NOT mean we are on the same path, sorry ;) .

You can post lengthy post - there is a limit, but it is quite long. You are best to post 3-4 paragraphs and leave them for comment thought. People tend to ignore extremely long posts.

10. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Spoudazo,
    Mt 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
    (KJV)

That's why they don't answer. Sorry, that's just the way it is. :(

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Amazing tactic, and how judgemental to refer to your brother in Christ as a dog and as swine,and how deplorable to use scripture to do so.

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C4K: Amazing tactic, and how judgemental to refer to your brother in Christ as a dog and as swine,and how deplorable to use scripture to do so.

That's all the KJVOs have...they utterly lack any FACTS to justify their myth, so , as an empty politician does during a campaign, they sling mud.

We've proven many times the KJV is NOT word-perfect, we've asked umpteen times WHICH EDITION of the KJV its proselytes consider perfect, and we've NEVER received any reasonable answers. Therefore, I've learned long ago to expect nothing but mud from them.

I know we're not gonna convince too many KJVOs of the error of their myth, but at least the lurkers and newer Christians will have food for thought & will avoid being sucked into the KJVO quagmire.

13. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The notes in the Geneva Bible say, "Which is to be understood that he was made king when his father reigned, but after his father's death he was confirmed king when he was forty-two years old as in II Chron. 22:2." This would not have been unusual at all, as you see this occurring pretty regularly. A lot of the supposed contradiction in dates, etc. during the times of the kings is cleared up when you understand that there is sometimes some overlap when a son rules as a co-regent.

I find the historical attitude of "God's Word is inspired by Him and therefore without error so let's do a little work and see if we can figure out this supposed contradiction" far superior to the modern attitude of, "My logic is without error so let's correct the Word of God."

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

One of the wisest post in the forum in several days. Good logic, well reasoned, thank you.

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

If I may "chime in"...

AMEN Pastor Greg.

I also echo Bro. C4K's sentiment.

[​IMG] Now if only I could be so succinct!

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Finally that is one explanation that needs to be heeded. I wasn't aware of that one.

I certainly don't go through the Bible searching for "errors" but rather it finds erros with me.

The well-known Norman Geisler among a host of other Christian authors have referred to it, and that's actual a reasonable explanation. I'll look into it further.

In this instance it seems my original assertion is incorrect, so for that I appreciate the kind correction (by some).

However, that still doesn't answer or refute the assertion that KJV-onlyism has indeed torn about many Christian groups and friends.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I can't answer or refute the fact that churches have been torn apart by carnal christians who jump on a hobby horse and wreak havoc on a body of "harmless" believers. [​IMG]
    Does that mean that the issue is flawed or is it that the persons are?
    I submit, it is the persons.
    To say churches have been torn apart by X-issue is incorrect. You can easily see this by the multitudes of issues that arise and split churches. Some are as ridiculous as the color of the new carpet, or pews-vs-chairs, or what hymn book to use. Do red carpets split churches? Are pews more holy than chairs?
    So let's all get REAL here. It is NOT the teaching or point of view that is at fault. It is the MANNER in which people use it.
    It boils down to ONE word. PRIDE
    I admit that the issue over Bible versions is a hotly contested issue. But so is Calvinism.
    Some Calvinist say the KJVo issue is wrong. Some do not. Some KJVo-ists say Calvinism is wrong. Some do not. BOTH will use Scripture to try and prove their point while their opposite sides will do the same. What is the problem? Human carnality is at the core of it and our NEED to be right at all costs.
    A little bit of humility will go a long ways in solving the problem. But as long as the church is made up of sinners, (both saved and lost sinners) we will have the problem.
    I really doubt if it will go away by convincing arguments. I think it will take a Divine Intervention.

EVEN SO, COME LORD JESUS!

In HIS service;
    Jim

BTW, I am NOT exempt from this assessment. [​IMG]

18. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

BTW I answered the Question. Go read.Talk about ignoring the facts!!!1

19. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

I've never heard this. Every apologetic text I've ever seen that dealt with these two verses merely chalked it up to "scribal error".

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Interesting - I read this explanation many years ago in Bible College, be it right or wrong, but it sure makes sense.