1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For my fellow missionaries- long

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Mexdeaf, Jan 14, 2006.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yup, a major problem. I think that intimidates those who may be considering missions. Many think, "I can't possibly be that good," and so give up.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Amen Ulsterman.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll third that. I'm no hero.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Me four! I am embarassed when pastors talk about missionaries being their 'heroes', the 'sacrifices' we make and the such.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those pedestals are dangerous. They're not at all stable. A guy could fall off and get hurt! :eek: :D

6. genesis12

genesis12 Member

The USA was, at one time, headquarters for Christian missionary efforts around the world. Other countries looked to us as "the home of the Christians." We "planted seeds" everywhere. Today, sadly, we are no longer a nation of Christians. We are being rapidly destroyed from within. The church is becoming nothing more than an entertainment palace. Millions upon millions of $$$$ are sent in to TV "ministers". The local church in 2006 can barely pay its utility bills (electricity, heating, and air conditioning). Providing gasoline money for the pastor is placing a serious burden on the small church. If the church needs anything, it is missionaries within our own borders. The temptation is to let the rest of the world do whatever it wants to do, while we take care of our own, right here, right now. IF there is any money left over for missions, do what we can.

7. shannonL

shannonL New Member

One thing that has me going a little bit is the fact that alot of churches are forsaking the idea of church planting missionaries and switching to simply sending teams over on short term trips to train nationals and stuff like that. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that to a degree but some of that thinking is influenced by our "instant gratification" way of looking at results etc.... here in america.
    I look at how alot the way missions is being done today and compare it to the pioneer days of missionaries and today you see more of man's ingenuity and less of living by faith. Not on the missionary's part but on the part of the chruches.

BTW, Have any of you guys ever read :
    The Spiritual Secret of Hudson Taylor? I read it last year. I must say it that is one of the most powerful books I have ever read in my life other than the Bible. It made a great impact on me. I think it should be required reading for anyone who wants to go to the mission field.
    I think of C4k and John of Japan as I typer this. You guys are in tough countries as far as having people respond to the Gospel. Have you fellows read that book. I'm guessing you have but if you haven't friends it will stir your soul and challenge your hearts.

To those who responded to my private e-mails awhile back I want to tell you again thank you very much. I have went through some of the deepest waters of my life this past year but I have determined to keep pressing on to the country of Spain. I'am going to trust God for my health situation. I believe the worst is behind me.
    I appreciate the encouragement that was given. Just for the fact that you guys are remaining faithful at the moment where you are is an encouragement in and of its self. Thanks for your lending me a listening ear. Thank you for your prayers and your continued praying .

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

A big "10-4" the "The Spiritual Secret of Hudson Taylor." It is a tremedously powerful book.

Praise the Lord to what God is doing for you ShannonL.

We are starting to see a few cracks and a glimmer of light here. Praise the Lord.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

ShannonL,

Glad to hear I am grinnin from ear to ear!

Keep on keepin on!

:D [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So true, however please do not overlook the fact that some of the countries in which we have had IFB missionaries for years are now sending out missionaries of their own. For example, we have just welcomed to Mexico a couple from Japan as missionaries. The Philippines and Korea are also becoming sending countries. From Mexico we have sent missionaries in several S. American countries. May their tribe increase!

11. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I am all for missionaries going wherever God sends them. They must go, however, I am more than a little puzzled by, say, Spanish speaking people going to another country where the language is not English, and, that country is sending missionaries to Spanish speaking countries. It seems strange to me that they would not use their command of a language to witness in countries where they would not have to learn another language. The US churches are still spending millions of missions dollars every year to send missionaries to Mexico and Mexico is now sending people all over the world! Is anyone puzzled as I am?

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well MikeinGhana,

isn't that comparable to the fact that there are missionaries being sent to be church planters here in the States as well as those being sent to the foreign fields?

There's also lots of missionaries going to foreign countries which do speak English....so would we ask why America does not only send missionaries to English-speaking peoples?

There's various reasons for each missionary picking his particular field at any one point in his ministry.

13. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I even heard that there were some Korean Christian missionairies now serving in the USA. It would be interesting finding out more about them.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ahhh, but Mike, who says that these folks ARE ministering in another language???

The language of most of the South American countries IS Spanish, so our Mexican missionaries can move right in much easier than American missionaries, and set up shop, so to speak.

Also, we need to remember that there are large pockets of people living outside of their own countries that can be reached more readily that they can in their own countries. Why, right here in lil' ole Tampico, Mexico we have several hundred- if not thousand- Korean construction people who need to be ministered to. If we had a Korean missionary here they could pluck some fruit for the Lord, I am sure.

Plus where does the Bible say that all missions has to emenate from the USA? Is not the Great Commission given to ALL Christians and churches?

15. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand and agree. It just hit me how far America has sunk morally and spiritually over the years.

16. mima

mima New Member

Mexdeaf what this pastor has told you is more right than wrong. After being on the mission field four months in China I casually mentioned to a fellow missionary that my interpreter and I had seen four people accept the Lord Jesus Christ. Whereupon he told me, I do not believe you, I have been here 13 years and I have never seen anyone accept Jesus. At a going away party for me this same missionary ask, how many, 87 I said in six months(I only stayed six months because people feared for my safety) after hearing this this longtime, very baptist, very saved, missionary just slowly shook his head and said I can not believe it, I can not believe it. Does this message say how good I was? NO!!! On the contrary it points out how ineffective most of our missionaries are.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Are you contending mima that a lack of numbers eguals ineffectiveness?

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mima, I would point you towards missionaries in France and Germany, especially one William (Billy) Allardice in the Normandy Region of France. That brother tries and has tried every ethical method he can think of to reach the local population. However, according to his "numbers", I dare say you would evaluate him as "ineffective".

Remember God has not called us to be "effective" He has called us to be faithful. As the Holy Spirit caused Paul to write:

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Mima,

Please do not take this personally as I in no way intend that, not knowing you and all.

But, how do you know those people truly accepted Christ and were saved?

I have found that it is easy to lead someone in a prayer but much harder to birth a fruitful Christian.

Also, many missionaries have had the experience of having folks come to their mission fields and 'win people to Christ' who never darken a church door nor give any evidence of a changed life afterwards. It is grating to be called 'ineffective' by someone who is out to put numbers on the wall or in a letter.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

We had an American football team come here from a Christian university. I read a prayer letter when they got back claiming over 100 people had been saved. None of our churches ever saw a single one of them, but pastors would ask us, "If ______________ football team can see 100 saved, what are you doing?"