1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For real?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 4, 2011.

1. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

That works only if you take part of her statement. It's not that (according to Palin) the British were being warned but that they were being warned against taking "our" guns.
    "He who warned, uh, the ... the British that they weren't gonna be taking away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells and, um, by making sure that as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that, uh, we were gonna be secure and we were gonna be free ... and we were gonna be armed."

There is
    -"they" which is the British who are trying to take the arms and
    - there is "we" who's arms are in question which can only be the colonists.
    Clearly in her statement the "British" cannot be the colonists. So while your technicality is correct, it does not fix her basic error. She is not even technically correct.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor is Palin. She's not running for office.

Palin's error was just a misstatement in a speech where she was speaking off the cuff. There's no need to nitpick.

3. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Except for the fact that she insists her statement was accurate. Her mistake has some interesting elements to it (for one, the fact that it was more than just a misstatement) but the truly intereting part about this incident is those (including now, Palin herself) that insist there was no mistake.

#43 dwmoeller1, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
  4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I admit I committed a typo, she insists she was right. Her clarification was more muddled than her 'off the cuff' remarks. Why didn't she just admit she blew it?

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Question. And I Have Another!

:type:
    I have an even better question...why doesn't Obama admit his errors? Very few pols admit their errors, which makes them even more arrogant. That old saying that to say you're sorry is a sign of weakness, is not Biblical.

Can you imagine the support this nation maight give to a politican that can come before them and admit they "just blew it!"? What a novel, refreshing act of public humility that would be!

Pastor Paul :type:

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I agree, but that does not explain why the 'darling of the right' can't be 'the better man' and set an example. Does the right really think that we should take our example from the left?

7. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

FWIW the day after the 57 states gaffe, Obama did admit he made a mistake. Generally you will find that even politicians will go ahead and admit they were wrong when they misspeak. On the bigger stuff they may never admit anything, but on the little and obvious stuff they grant the mistake if only not to look even more foolish.

Palin and many of her supporters in the other hand twsit logic into pretzels to even avoid admitting to some little misspeak. She can't even handle the usual politician evasion of being vague as possible to avoid saying anything meaningful.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

Some people need to get a life.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I could not agree more :)

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Um, let's see...

She was elected the governor of Alaska
    She was nominated to the VP spot on the GOP ticket last election cycle
    She has since parlayed a rather mundane income bracket into a multi-million dollar venture
    She has become a household name
    She has the power to energize the conservative base (which is the biggest reason that liberal entities are so nervous about her)
    And, yes, she sometimes mis-speaks, as do all candidates and office holders (aka "Mr. Tele-Prompter," otherwise known as the President of the United States).

Sounds really stupid to me... :thumbs:

Don't believe every smear piece that originates with the NYT or other liberal media outlet. They often search for the one snippet that will sound bite which may or may not be in context of the entire transcript of Palin's (or any other conservative candidate's) presentation.

About the Paul Revere thing... Has anyone actually taken a moment to get past the sound bite to see what Palin was trying to communicate (which had nothing to do with Revere, or with the faulty parsing of the media)? She was saying that Revere was sending a signal to the Brits that America was not going to back down -- he was engaged in courier activity that was intended to lead to the American ability to war against the most powerful nation on the earth in that era. She was not technically incorrect, but she did not repeat the childhood quip about Revere, which is why what she said so stands out.

12. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, normally, a typo would not be a big deal. However, when you do so in the context of calling somebody else stupid, that tends to make it a much more glaring error.

I taught history at both the high school and college levels for several years. If somebody in my class gave that explanation, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Evidently, neither would other historians, as several have come out in her defense:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/2011_0606you_betcha_she_was_right_experts_back_palins_historical_account/

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The two video clips speak for themselves. Any unbiased party listening to them could hardly be inspired to see her as a potential leader.

BTW, read my posts again. I never called Gov Palin stupid.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Leader" of what? She's not running for anything.

I read them. Your meaning was clear.

16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far, the only thing I don't like about Cain is that he won't go after the Fed. I like the fact that he's in favor of the fair tax.

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/was...alin-says-paul-revere-warned-the-british.html

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

You cited people who did...

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of Course You Didn't Call Her Stupid!

However, your post was meant to shine a light on her so called error, and in so doing, I can see (by reading between the lines) that you did intend to infer that she wasn't too bright, when itcomes to history!

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

However to claim that I called her stupid is simply a failure to be truthful. In fact, I think at one point I said that 'stupid' was too harsh a word. She seemed confused and befuddled by a simple question and seemed so intent on getting a sound bite about gun control that she stumbled over the basic facts. Folks have tried to explain it away and talk about how later, after his arrest he told the British that the colonists were arming, but that had nothing to do with the 'um, making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells...' That was clearly referring to his warning of the colonists during his 'midnight ride.'

The reality is the the famous poem was not totally accurate. It now appears that the real hero was William Dawes. We don't know exactly what happened, but from every indication Paul Revere did not '"...warn[ed] uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."

She had a chance to explain herself, but sounded even more confused.

Fair enough, if she is indeed doing this only as a private citizen that is one thing. Posters are correct, she is not technically running for anything. But, as a historical traditional conservative I find it embarrassing that she is claiming to be the spokesperson for my political persuasion.

She had a chance to make this right by simply saying, 'You know what, I was caught off guard by the question and did not think though my answer. Here is what I meant...'

What a class act that would have been for a noted private citizen.

#60 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011