1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For the Guitar-o-philes

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Pastor Larry, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What is the best way to get better particularly with finger work? Are there online sites that have good finger exercises and the like?

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Larry,

Are you having trouble with your fingers getting tired, and you want to strenghthen them...or are you wanting to learn more runs and licks?

Mike

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Both ... As well as to become better at playing for congregational accompaniment.

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Larry,

As far as strenthening your fingers, there are some devices you can purchase...fairly cheaply...that will help with that.

As far as the other, let me surf around the net and come back with links for both.

God bless,

Mike

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Thanks, Mike, I looked at a few and there is a lot of info there. I will look more at these sites this week.

7. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

My advice would be to find some pieces of music that you really like (so practice will not be a chore!) and do them over and over and over until it feels natural. Learning one jazz arrangement or one bluegrass song can be a great foray into the workings of the different styles. You can assimilate what you want and leave the rest!

8. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

http://www.theguitar.net/menu.htm

Pastor, this site is excellent for all levels and styles of guitar.

What I would strongly recommend for you is to click on the CD ROM catalog and check out the speed techniques CD.

Even if you don't aspire to be the next Steve Vai
    the finger drills are fantastic for developing coordination and accuracy rapidly

If you just play the same song over and over, you will be able to play the same song. Over and over.

Speed drills teach your fingers to instantly go to the proper fret even the first time you play a new song.

You remember the old high school typing drills.

Made no sense at all but they taught your fingers how to move rapidly and accurately.

Same principle.

MR

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

This is where I found some good lessons Pastor Larry. This site has a metronome and a programable "groove machine" to play along with.

http://www.wholenote.com/

10. standingfirminChrist

gotta check that site out!

11. steveo

steveo New Member

I always practiced the 4 finger per fret exercise. Starting on the 1-4 fret and use alternate picking. When you get to the high e slide everything up 1 fret and come back down to the low e. Try going to the 12th fret and then back down. It will take a while to do this since your fingers will get tired but this gave me great finger dexterity in my hay day when I was real fast. You can also use pull offs and hammer ons and alternate fingers like 2,4,1,3.etc...