1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured For the Truth Seeker

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

God gave Adam the ability to freely choose, w/o any coercion on His part. Adam willfully and freely sinned, and the consequences of that fall was death, now spiritually, later physically. Their's, and our's, ability to freely choose hasn't changed in the least. We freely choose to do whatever pleases us the most. However, the fall caused their will, and our's, to change, from pleasing Him, to pleasing themselves, and ourselves.

It has to do with the will, in regards to choosing....fallen, corrupted, self-loving wills will choose that which pleases themselves, and not God.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was the Cross always decreed by God, or was it ordained due to the fall?

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Were there anyone else in the garden besides Adam and Eve for God to allow free will to choose between life and death to ?

You want an answer, ask a sensible question.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see we have the usual Calvinist response to the truth. Does fallen mankind have the ability to autonomously, i.e. by persuasion rather than compulsion, choose life over death? Scripture says whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life. It does not say whoever God enables to believe shall have eternal life. So the non-Calvinist believes scripture as written, and the Calvinist believes scripture as rewritten.

There is nothing that can be said to any Calvinist that will change their view. All of them, at least all who regularly post on this forum, will claim from or since actually means before. Not one of them agreed that before only means before, and from or since only means from or since.
    Without commitment to truth, discussion is futile.

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Re the bold - Pot meet kettle.

Are you even able to honestly discuss this issue? I haven't seen it. All you do is slander your Reformed brothers and call them liars or worse. You really think you are going to convince anyone with your vitriol?

And yes scripture actually does say that those who God enables are those who believe:

John 6:65 HCSB He said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless it is granted to him by the Father.”

Jhn 6:65 NIV He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them."​

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Wrong. Believing shows they already hath life. No one dead to righteousness can, nor will, believe.

More of you shuck and jive, I see...

Closer to gag and puke than shuck and jive....

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    watch the satanic way this guy is going to turn this around and say all Calvinists know to do is to reply provocatively, or such like in so many words.
    if this guy is a 'brother', then I don't know what an enemy is.

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you see the glaring flaw in your answer? In Adam's un-fallen state, his will chose to NOT always please God. If Adam's ability to choose was either to pleasing God, or to pleasing self, and his nor our's has "changed in the least", then TULIP is false. You cannot have it both ways............

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You could open a thread on it, meanwhile, back to my question.........

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A bit stumped maybe?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We have the testimony of the four soils, when some believe for awhile but never make it to regeneration. Also John 8 speaks of those who believed on Jesus, but again, they do not make it to the point of asking Jesus to be born-again.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Adam could choose betwixt either option, no? Adam saw that his wife transgressed, so he died to be with her.

A picture of Christ and the church if ever I saw one....

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Being born-again is actually born from above and no man or woman is active in that. God quickens whomsoever He wills.

Being born from above shows the grace of God already at work in that regenerate's life.

14. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    by what ?
    a stupid question like "Does anyone else have any thoughts on why God, having all Sovereign Power and Right to do as He pleases, would give Adam and Eve a freewill choice between life and death?"

in the first place, Adam and Eve were NOT given the free will or free choice between life and death.
    they HAD IT from creation.
    they, not us, who came from them through procreation.
    and what did they do with that free will ?
    they believed the creature more than the Creator.

in the second place, there were no other men in the garden at that point, and beyond, so who else could exercise free will ?

like I said, make sure of your question's background before asking it.
    duh.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, and TULIP teaches man CANNOT choose life. So an adjustment needs to be made in your theology if you will to uphold the TULIP doctrine in a debate.

Makes for a nice romance novel, but this isn't mentioned in the Scriptures.

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! points we all agree upon. The sticking point for TULIP is Adam's freewill choice between life and death.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    After Creation was complete......

Genesis2:15-17, - "And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

And this somehow addresses my question about God's Sovereignty? My question is a valid one, and thus far has puzzled the TULIP supporters.....

Maybe I am wrong about what TULIP supporters believe concerning freewill and God's Sovereignty. I said why I asked the question, it is because the "GOD IS SOVEREIGN" gets mentioned a lot when debating whether or not mankind gets to choose life and death. So, did Adam and Eve have the freedom to choose life or death, or did God first cause them to choose (obviously) death?

The question is spot on and cuts right to the heart of the TULIP verses Freewill debate. Thus far it has been quite a curve ball for team TULIP. :smilewinkgrin: And really, it is meant to bring all to the truth and to expose flaws and errors in beliefs, that we all may be united as brothers and sisters in Christ. :love2:

#57 steaver, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a classic Calvinist response.

1) Make a slanderous charge without a quote.

2) Brag that no Calvinist will accept any non-Calvinist view.

3) Scripture never says God must enable, via Irresistible Grace, those who believe.
    a) The word translated "grant" means permit and allow, thus if God does not "disable" a person (by hardening his or her heart) they can come to Jesus.

b) Thanks for providing yet another example where the Calvinist bias via translation decisions, is present in NIV. Translating "allow" as "enable" is simply a mistranslation. ​

19. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is only a sticking point for you and others who do not believe that we all inherited the fallen nature of Adam.

20. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When God created Adam and Eve (and these two only) He created them fully adults, fully intelligent, fully capable of thinking, of speech, of reason, and THEY had free will. They were not granted free will as an after thought. They had it. They were able to exercise it. and they did. wrongfully.
    God did not control them, coerce them, or 'work' in them.
    God told them exactly what was to happen if they disobeyed that one simple rule/test.
    So, yes, they had the freedom to choose life and death.
    They blew that, big time.
    They chose DEATH, obeying a creature, rather than the Creator.
    So your question is really stupid as stupid goes, because why should God want ANYONE to choose death, when He is life ?
    As a result, their posterity, those that came from their loins, what we call mankind, inherited that disobedient trait, because WE were NO LONGER direct creations of God as they are.
    Therefore, because of sin IN us, we were spiritually DEAD and we are incapable of exercising what Christ exercised and which He was able to do because He just did not have our fallen nature IN Him, which was total and absolute submission to God.
    How hard is that to grasp ?
    Oh, yeah, very hard for a prideful and rebellious heart.

And don't play me with your "meant to bring all to the truth and to expose flaws and errors in beliefs, that we all may be united as brothers and sisters in Christ." because I've been on this board for a while, and KNOW that most of you guys's "good intent" are simply in print.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.