1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For those Harry Potter lovers - Did you know ??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Allan, Oct 20, 2007.

1. readmore

readmore New Member

Re-read the article. You should be able to infer that the director and whoever else was involved with the script was not aware of the issue.

Re-read my post. I'm not talking about speculation meant to demean or tarnish without any proof. I'm saying some people can find homosexuality wherever they want to. The only evidence for this speculation of Dumbledore is that he had "no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past". If this had proven conclusively that the character was gay, the audience wouldn't have "gasped" when it was revealed.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Exactly and none of my grandkids have read them and will not if I have anything to say about it (which I don't). Thank God for Godly parents!

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

IOW - He didn't actaully 'say' this. And I know that much. But what I wanted to know was - Did he read the books or was he only directing the movie as it was given him? Same with the screen writters, did they read the books or was they given an overview?

Thus a Distinct Difference between the books all else.

Of course people 'find' homosexuality anywhere they they want to. But the Harry Potter readers had good reason to assume Dumbledores homosexuality because that is exactly what the writer had intended. Their speculation was NOT unfounded apparently because he WAS gay, according the writters own statement.

The 'only' evidence given, is not an exaustive list my friend. It is merely citing some of things. If you look on some of the fans sites you can see others. But I would ignore the postings AFTER the authors revelation of his sexual orientation because THEN they start a barage of things. But that is only natural since they can now better see the truth.

They gasped because it was only speculation based upon events and circumstances in the story. And NO ONE said speculation proved conclusively or anything of the like. The audience was already rumoring it amonst themselves but had nothing concrete until the author basically stated yep, you all guessed it. If you will note the first sentence of the article, "the rumors are true". Obviously it was not something spoken of in dark corners of the internet but a common rumor.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

The funniest (or saddest) thing to me, is not that Dumbledore was gay but her anti-christian attitude which is ignored by Christians because they like the books.
    Dispite of the fact she did much of it for that purpose !

And Rowlings states her purpose - 'prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority."

But who is she directing them to question regarding authority? It is the same people she is arguing for tolerance from - Christians. Just read her final comments.

It is toward those who have already been speaking out against her books and thus they (we christians) now have another reason against the books.

This was something set forth in her books deliberately and for a purpose of which the young readers and old alike took notice of but it was not specifically revealed until the author gave the final fact which brings the life of Dumbledore into focus.

#44 Allan, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  5. The Nones of March

The Nones of March New Member

Which is exactly why this whole deal sucks: it's a method of subversion.

6. TC2

TC2 Member

Have not read all replies.
    Man, this is tops on all the boards!

Truly, it makes no diff to me. Nothing
    in the books allude to his sexuality,
    nothing is ever really stated one way
    or the other.

Still a fun read, a nice 'escape'.
    But then, I'm an adult, and so less
    bothered/influenced by things like this.

Gay characters, whether open or not,
    in fiction don't bother me. They exist
    in the real world, and trying to 'stamp
    them out' by ignoring/banning books
    with them in it is silly.

Of course, I'd also say that these books
    should only be read by children old
    enough to understand a story from
    reality, and be grounded enough in
    their faith not to be bothered.
    Perhaps reading it along with a
    parent, to explain the 'rights and wrongs'
    of various situations, is the way to go.

I was raised understanding that there are
    no degrees of sin, that they are all the same.
    So, then, would/do you ban books that have
    stealing/lying/cheating in them?
    Any hint of premarital sex or lust, drunkeness,
    doubting of the faith?
    If so, what do you/r kids read?

I second another poster, not sure from where,
    that the pre-occupation of Christians with
    homosexuality is both weird and creepy.

7. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

What has always amazed me about the HP issue is this:

I don't know any Christians that are in reality, dumb enough to think that witchcraft is something that is okay for them to be entertaining themselves with. I do, however, know a plenty of em' that, despite their knowledge of this and a clear instruction book on the issue, continually and fervently thumb their noses at God and his word in a blatant act of presumptuous sin. In so doing, they tie bandanas around their eyes and will defend there beloved HP books and continue marching blinfolded down the road saying, "I just can't see anything wrong with HP."

#47 Bro. Williams, Oct 21, 2007
  8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Really? You know Christians who practice witchcraft?

9. The Nones of March

Be more specific. Right now you appear to be contradicting yourself.

10. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

updated previous post,,,

11. Joe

Joe New Member

I believe we all agree practicing witchcraft is sin.

Yet what we have here is a children's fantasy book with fictional stories regarding the use of witchcraft by fictional characters. So we could say it is not real. It's just fantasy.

The problem is in real life homosexuality is real, and so is witchcraft. We can create fantasy around witchcraft, and somehow tell ourselves we are removed enough from this sin to not actually be committing the sin ourselves. We are only reading about a fictional story where the fictional characters are committing the sin.

Ok then.

Yet now it has been taken one step further.

The author of these children's fantasy books publicly stated that a character(s )is gay, after alluding to this in her books. Some children picked up on it, others did not. If you didn't get her drift the first time, she is going to ensure you do by going public.
    Sadly, she does this knowing full well her consumers, her target market, are mainly under age minors. So now the characters have been "sexualized" in a manner in which children are not ready for. And worse, it is a "sexualized' manner opposed to Christian teachings.

We also have an author, who now has the audacity to publicly poo poo a portion of her own consumer base. Some believers purchased her books, and this is how they are treated. What a slap in the face

I own a business, and we don't treat our customers this way. I would hope no one would advocate treating their customers in this manner.

Now here is another aspect of it-

If reading about witchcraft in a fantasy sense is ok, then is it too far of a strech to assume it's ok for Christians ton read about adultery in a fantasy sense?
    Both are sins yet we aren't actually committing these ourselves. We are only gaining the reading enjoyment out of them. These fictional characters in a fantasy world. Consider the romance novels which get into intimate details of sex acts committed by fictional characters.

As a Christian, if watching a new Harry Potter film is ok then it should be ok for us to go see Brokeback Mtn (A homosexual R Rated film) correct?

Again, we are not actually committing these sinful acts ourselves. We are only gaining the enjoyment of watching them on screen or reading about them.

Thoughts anyone?

#51 Joe, Oct 21, 2007
  12. The Nones of March

Which is what I assumed you were saying.

"I just don't see anything wrong" is not what I've said about Harry Potter. I understand why some parents forbid their kids to read the books. I'm not sure what I think of the books anymore now that J.K.'s brought Dumbledore out of the closet, but I enjoyed reading all of them and I think there are both good and bad ideas within. As far as good ones: there's fraternity, selflessness, trust, hope, a clear demonstration of good versus evil, and others. There is justice.

I think most people dislike HP because it involves magic; however, Rowling is not promoting the practice of magic, merely placing a great story into a fantastical context.

You must, likewise, be completely against the Lord if the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and all other fantastical works. And to think, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were avid Christians, buddies even, but because both used magic in their stories, we should crucify them and their fans?

The point is you can take a secular work and draw good things from it. I read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead two years ago (for those who don't know, her books spout her "objectivism" philosophy which is anti-religious) and drew good ideas from it.

And did anyone catch the Corinthians reference in HP7?...

13. The Nones of March

I'm only responding to the latter half:

We read books to get different things from them. You've compared reading a novel involving magic to a novel involving intimate sex. The issue I take with that is that I read a fantasy (as in the genre) book to get a sense of adventure, good versus evil, and other universally understood fantastical elements. People read sex novels to vicariously experience sex. Now which of those two is sinful? They are surely not the same.

I think we should ask ourselves, "What is the point of this writing?" Is J.R.R. Tolkien supporting the use of sorcery in the Lord of the Rings? Is C.S. Lewis in Narnia? Or are they using a fantastical setting to teach a moral? Are they just giving us a great story of adventure, love, and justice? (Obviously Rowling is supporting homosexuality, but is she doing the same for sorcery?)

I'm not defending the use of magic, and neither do I think authors like those I listed above are. But a sex novelist is promoting something direct and undeniable--lust. Magic is a part of the story that helps a character achieve and end. Sex is, likewise, a means to an end (if not the end itself); however, the feelings involved in sex are the focus.

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I see the author of Harry Potter deliberately pushing the buttons of Christians with her inclusion of a gay character.

Then I see a bunch of self-righteous Christians bashing any other Christian who reads Harry Potter books.

I'm not sure who is worse.

15. Joe

Joe New Member

They are not the same in a worldly sense, I agree. Both homosexuality and witchcraft are practices which are sinful to God.

Yes, I understand. It is different.

First of all, anyone who promotes homosexuality linking it to innocent children's books is someone I wouldn't trust with a 10 foot poll. Is she doing the same for sorcery? It wouldn't be too far fetched. I wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars to promote homosexuality onto my innocent child. Or any other child for that matter. We can't expect something moral coming from a book which she herself is promoting as immoral.

Sorry guys, but are we really all on the same page here as BROTHERS?

You all see how absurd this is right?

#55 Joe, Oct 21, 2007
  16. The Nones of March

You misunderstood me. You're right: they are both sinful. But I was saying that people reading fantasy books and people reading sex novels have different goals in mind. That's the part which is different, and as such, the focus of my post.

Had I known one of my favorite characters was going to be homosexual (especially in the manner the author has let us know), I doubt I'd have bought HP.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

????

I think I understand. Yes, there are different goals in mind when reading a sex novel than a Harry Potter novel. This is thinking in a worldly sense.

In a biblical sense, both acts are sinful, as is fantasizing about these sins.

#57 Joe, Oct 21, 2007
  18. Allan

Allan Active Member

For the record:

First - J.R.R. Tolkein was not an avid Christian (in the sense of his vocal and writtings), and actually you don't hear much about his faith from him.
    Secondly - unlike C.S. Lewis who INTENDED his books on the Chronicles of Narnia to be alagorical , Mr. Tolkein did not. In the Preface of book Fellowship of the Ring (older additions) He states he hates literary works of that kind. Mr. Tolkiens desire in creating his books was to create a sort of mythology for Europe who had lost it own historical distiction over time with it lore and myths being interposed with many other cultures they conquered and vise versa in areas.
    BTW- on a personal note - It was his books that actaully got me and many others in my youth group started into magic. Most have still never left.

C.S. Lewis, as I said, set forth his writings with the intent to be allagorical toward the Christain faith. I personally do not like the fact he uses mythilogical characters known as historically evil (until Disney and modern day writters made them more appealing) to be apart of the 'good' guys, but all magic used is used by the Ice Witch/queen who is decidedly wicked/evil and of course Sant Clause :) . The only other peice or item that is, which conveys a magical quality is the Wardrobe itself. The children do not it in the sense that they invoke (or that 'they' make the magic operate) but are taken by it's own operation to another fantisy land. As I said, I don't necessarily agree with it because it does have some aspects that should be shied away from as believers but he created his work of fiction with the intent to seen through biblcal eyes. Tolkien nor Rowlings did not.

With regard to this:
    I would be inclined to agree with you if the world itself was magical and the people just lived in it, however the practice of magic is the main thrust of its predomenance.
    As a matter of fact, most things in their world is magical because of some spell cast by a person upon it. There are magical creatures, and there might be some fundimental laws of nature that are not the same as ours. But the fact remains, the vast majority of the magic therein is due to people who are learning to use it, both those who have the ability already and those who do not. IOW - everyone is able to do magic if they learn how - Heriniane (sp?) is a prime example.

And I do agree with your final point about reading books and drawing good points from them. But should be not be cautious in approaching books with a mind set on truth to know the difference. And if adults must be thoroughly prepared to to view it through the eyes of truth so as to discard lies, should we be bringing our children into such an arena where are children (even pre-teen and teens) are just beginning to realize truth themselves.

#58 Allan, Oct 21, 2007
  19. Allan

Allan Active Member

I don't see 'a bunch' of self-righteous christians 'bashing' other christians. But are setting forth their views regarding this 'literary' work.

The same can be said of ANYTHING by which we might have a difference of opinion and speak of it. We ARE allowed to disagree, and just because we disagree does NOT make the one who is against the thing self-righteous. That ad hominem is always used when the other people (no matter what the topic) begin pulling up scriptures that speak (in their eyes or not) against a particular issue.

I agree some people can be ridiculous in their treatment of others by attacking their character or even standing with God and is completely uncalled for.

As for me, this thread was set up to show the aurthors disregard for christians and their values/morals by purposely creating these books (in her words) to be a 'prolonged argument for 'tolerence'' and to 'question authority'. But which tolerence? The old defintion where You and I can disagree but live together, or the new one where you must beleive what I believe and incorperate into your view or else. The new tolerence is not tolerence at all but universalism. And what 'authority' are children supposed to be questioning? The only one for which the books are arguing for tolerence from - Christians.

20. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

The author's attitude and "subversion" (to quote another poster) only confirm the decision that I made long ago that neither I nor my children will read these books or watch these movies. It's kind of like my pastor counseled me concerning alcohol once (not to open that can of worms here, but...). See, I don't drink much. I haven't had a drink since probably last New Year's, but I asked my pastor his thoughts about it one day. He told me he has never found any specific prohibition against having an occasional drink in the Bible, but if it is not drawing me closer to God, do I really need to do it? I see the HP books the same way; even if you don't see anything wrong with so-called "fantasy" witchcraft, is it drawing you closer to God? If not, then you probably need to just leave it alone. Just like my having an occasional drink could possibly lead my kids to think it's okay to drink if they see me doing it (and one of them has an alcoholic father, which could lead to serious ramifications for him), if my kids see me reading HP or if I allow them to do so, they may not have the same ability to discern fact from fiction and stay on the right path that I do. Therefore, I don't need to allow it.