1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For those over 30: Has your local weather changed since you were a kid?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by billwald, May 1, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

It sure has in the Puget Sound area. When we moved here in '62, rain most every day from November through May. Almost always rained on Christmas and Thanksgiving. May was sunny. June was wet. Always rained the week the kids got out of school.

It was on the cold side until July 5th. Weather was variable until "Seafair," around first two weeks of August. Outdoor events could be safely planned from Seafair through the first half of October. It was ALWAYS hot the first week the kids went back to school. October could be the nicest month of the year.

It was that way for 25 years. Now every month is goofy.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Nope. Alabama weather was goofy when I was a kid and its goofy now. My fav weather saying is this: If you don't like the weather today, just wait until tomorrow and it'll be different!

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those over 30: Has your local weather changed since you were a kid?

Yeah. Just about every day.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a kid, when it snowed in Oct, you would not see green grass at least until March. Now - it snows more, but in a few days it will all be melted. We do have quite of bit of snow all season - up to 190 inches or so - but it comes and goes. And it has snowed as late as Mothers Day.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think our winters are not as cold and snowy, and our summers are not as hot as they used to be. This would cover Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois, Southeast Missouri and West Tennessee.

Of course, I dont' count the ice storm of a couple of years ago which paralyzed everything for a good while.

If there's global warming going on, it's certainly not around here.

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Since I grew up in suburban Philadelphia but moved to Middle Tennessee in 1972, I really can't make a truly honest comparison of what the weather was like as a kid compared to what it now is for me.

OTOH, as we here in Middle Tennesse observe the second anniversary of the May 2010 flood (a 500- to 1,000-year event according to the experts), I must say that we haven't got as much rain now as we did then, PTL!

Actually we're probably a couple inches behind in rainfall this year, and we may have broken a 111-year temperature record (90 F) today.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, when I was a kid, I lived in Florida, and now I live in Connecticut, so yes, the weather has dramatically changed for me. :laugh:

But seriously, this last winter was the warmest winter I can remember in Connecticut since I moved here in '89.

However, since it has officially turned spring, we have had lower than average temperatures.

They say if you don't like the weather in New England, just wait five minutes and it will change. :thumbsup:

9. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I remember more snow. Once, they closed the county schools for a week.
    This may be the warmest winter in my memory, but last winter was one of the coldest.
    I'm not sure about summer temps, but I can't take the heat like I used to.

10. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

By weather, I assume you actually mean "climate"....and "climates" are known to be cyclical and have been known to be cyclical since the Middle Ages. Even the average temperatures are known to go through cycles in most inhabited regions with a net change of several degrees over several-hundred year cycles. One of the major reasons the Nordic conquests are thought to have eventually staved off was because of a massive warming trend taking place around the 11th century opening up much agrigable land in Scandinavia which previously could not be used for those purposes. Historians in the Dark Ages were aware of this, and Chronicled it.

Of course, my guess is, this is a "man-made global warming" is
    1.) real
    2.) known to be a bad thing....thread

A little knowledge of History helps in this respect as much as the bloviations of Dr. Al Gore on the topic.

11. McWilliams

McWilliams New Member

I really do miss the smell of rain and listening to the thunder when it stormed. Seems to be a rareity anymore. Summer thunder storms are memorable.

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

In my home city of Battle Creek, MI, the winters when I was growing up were extremely cold (well below zero), and snow was often at waist level on adults. The summers were usually (especially in August the hottest month) in the 90's and 100+.

When I left there in 2005, the winters were a lot milder with a lot less snow and more freezing rain. I moved to Florida after retirement, and the Michigan summers (though not as hot as when I was a child and a teen) still rivaled the Florida summers and were sometimes even hotter than Florida. Winter temps in Michigan were sometimes warmer than Florida.

I am now in southern California in the high desert and found I don't like it here. The winters and much of the rest of the year is too cold and windy for me. Hot weather lasts only from June through August. There is some temps between cold and unbearably hot, but very little. High winds blow almost constantly and make being outside most of the year unbearable for me; I can't speak for others.

I liked Florida the best of any place I've been, but the excessive bugs and insects make living there difficult at best. Fortunately, that's mainly during the warm weather. However, the bugs and insects are as thick as fleas on a dog's back during that time.

13. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

It's weird. It seems to me that growing up, every summer we'd have some days hit 100 degrees (I grew up in Indiana, mid part of the state).

But looking back, I think it only hit 100 degrees very few times as a child.

This last two summers we have...have been very warm. Moreso than I remember before that. Indications show it's going to be a hot summer this year.

On the opposite, we had a very warm winter this past winter, but our winter 1 year ago and 3 years ago was terrible. Cold, ice, snow...etc.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have moved around a lot to different areas of the country, so I don't know.