1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Those Who Doubt...America is Under God!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Mar 9, 2013.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing says America better than our National Anthem, and apparently from the day it was written in 1814, until it became our official anthem in 1931, most Americans must have agreed that we were a nation under the divine hand and protection of God. Even giving praise to the Creator for the Fort Henry victory and all victories since then.

When we think of the anthem, we must never forget that the lyrics come from "Defence of Fort McHenry," a poem written in 1814 by the 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet, Francis Scott Key, after witnessing the bombardment of Fort McHenry by the British Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the Battle of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812.

The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889, and by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 [/B](46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which were signed by President Herbert Hoover. (courtesy of Wikipedia)

With that little peice of history in mind, I'd like to remind you of the oft neglected second verse of our anthem. A verse that doesn't mince its words when it comes to God and this nation being under God's favor.

ENJOY: http://www.youtube.com/v/I0fQd858cRc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

Could it be that this verse is to Christ centered to be sung that we have totally neglected singing it? I think so. What do you think?

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree. "Praise the Power that had made, and preserved us a nation" and "this be our motto, in God is our Trust." If there is one phrase we have abused in recent history, it is "conquer we must, when our cause it is just." I do not think the majority of the conflicts we have engaged in since WW2 have been in our national security interests or "just." If they were, we would have declared war as the Constitution requires.

One could tell that the former Marine was very passionate about his nation, freedom, and liberty. That was a very, very impressive video, and I thank you for posting it.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

When were we "under God?"

When we were slaughtering British image-bearers over taxes?

Slavery?

Manifest Destiny?

Iraq?

Just because a poet once suggested it doesn't mean it's true. The only Christian nation in history is the Church.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

:thumbsup: