1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Those Who Speed On The Highway

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, May 22, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

For those who speed on the highway, here's a few hymns to remember:
    55 mph -- God Will Take Care Of You
    75 mph -- Nearer My God To Thee
    85 mph -- This World Is Not My Home
    95 mph -- Lord, I'm Coming Home
    100 mph -- Precious Memories

Perhaps you already know a ot of these hymns!! LOL :smilewinkgrin:

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Our speed limit is 70MPH. So 75, given a 2% margin of error in your speedometer, is not really speeding. Granted, I learned to drive when MT had a $5 conservation ticket for speeds up to 85MPH on highways and the interstate during daylight hours, assuming good road conditions. I got pulled over a few times, but those $5 tickets didn't go on your record. Those were wonderful days. I also enjoyed the brief days, until some liberals from out of state complained too much, the era of "reasonable and prudent". In those days the cops would consider your car type and condition as well as the weather, road, and daylight to decide what speed you should be going. I had my '66 Mustang at the time that was in excellent condition. I never got pulled over in those days. I was also blessed to be stationed in Germany for 3 1/2 years and enjoyed the autobahn a great deal. I took my mustang with me. After I got out of the Army I worked for a motorcycle dealership where I un-crated and setup Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles. It was a lot of fun making sure the machines performed as advertised.

Needless to say, I am comfortable with speed. Keep your powder dry and your head on a swivel. In other words, maintain your equipment and pay attention to your surroundings (that includes any laws applicable to your locale).

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a long trip; the traffic was almost non-existent, and I had purposed to sin by letting my speed creep ever so higher.

Not having the radio on, I suddenly heard an alarm.

Immediately dropping the speed while looking at the gauges for any engine indicator of the alarm, everything seemed normal enough. The alarm fell silent.

After sometime, the anxiety lessened and I thought no more about it again gradually increasing the speed.

A number of miles, a number of increases, and suddenly the alarm!

Taking the nearest exit, I pulled into a station. Lifted the hood, looked everything over, nothing caught my eye.

Off down the road I progressed pondering the problem.

Just as I reached 85 mph, and the alarm sounded, I realized it was the GPS.

I had no idea that such a setting existed; didn't take long to disable it.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Man after my own heart. I enjoy doing autocross and HPDE.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:laugh: I thought you were going to say it was Gabriel's horn- LOL!

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    those were the days!!! :thumbsup:

I remember a man in our church bought a high power POV -(forget make) we were on the Autobahn - doing about 120 MPH (not KPH)- and then a small Porsche came up behind us and starting flashing his lights - yes, we were going to slow!

Of course US Army vehicles were bound by USAREUR regs to 55 MPH. Now, on the Autobahn it is 80 Klicks for Tactical Veh and 120 Klicks for NTV

For POV's - taken from USAEUR Pam 130-34
    (2) Contrary to popular belief, many autobahns have speed limits. Where no limit exists, the
    recommended speed limit for single vehicles with up to 3.5 tons of authorized loaded weight is 130 kph.
    This recommended speed limit should be observed even under the best road, traffic, and weather
    conditions. In addition, drivers must consider their driving experience, the speed rating of their vehicle’s
    tires, and the vehicle load. Drivers who exceed 130 kph will be held liable if they have an accident.

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Speed is better when measured in mach. :smilewinkgrin:

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Yeah, Salty, how well I remember travelling on those autobahns back in the late '60's! Especially if you were in your little VW bug caught behind a military convoy going up a steep hill!

And, of course, remembering that saying that honking your horn covered a multitude of sins! :smilewinkgrin: