1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forbes article: Don't marry career women

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by thomas not doubting, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomas not doubting

thomas not doubting New Member

Forbes magazine has published a controversial article that's causing quite an uproar.

Writer Michael Noer states it pretty plainly: "Whatever you do, don't marry a career woman.

"To put it bluntly, the more successful she is, the more likely she is to grow dissatisfied with you. Marry pretty women or ugly ones. Short ones or tall ones. Blondes or brunettes. Just, whatever you do, don't marry a woman with a career."

Noer cites studies in various journals that say the professional woman is a woman who has a college degree, works at least 35 hours a week and therefore earns more than $30,000 a year. He said she's more likely to get divorced and cheat on her husband with co-workers. She will be either angry about having kids or angry about not having kids.

Noer argued that marriage is hardest when both partners work outside the home, and that research shows divorce is more likely the more hours a woman works.

Conversely, the same is not true of a man's workload.

Many are calling the article outrageous. The response online was quick.

Hundreds of postings popped up in online chat rooms.

"I can't even imagine what would make someone say that. It's a throwback to the '70s, '60s or '50s" said one woman.

Forbes.com removed the article, later reposting it, accompanied by another article, from a happily married female Forbes writer who's worked for more than 20 years.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.forbes.com/home/2006/08/23/Marriage-Careers-Divorce_cx_mn_land.html

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

First,

What do you think?

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Happened to my brother-in-law. The workplace is full of wolves with a sympathetic ear for your wives' troubles. Men, you ought to be watching out for your family instead of your lifestyle.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It's true that the more dependent a woman is on her husband financially, the less likely she'll leave him. But it's really sad if financial dependence is all you have to hold her.

My mother & grandmothers advised us girls to go to college and have a career - so we could leave if we had to and take care of ourselves if we were left.

Marry a woman who loves you and treat her well - then, whether she has a career or not, she'll probably not leave you.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Old (Mexican?) song . . . if you want to be happy for the rest of your life be sure to marry an ugly wife.

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:thumbsup: :thumbs: Couldn't have said it better myself! BTW, I am a happily married, mother of two, college educated, career woman.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Preach it brother!

Wayne

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

don't know it - but it sounds sage.

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Hmmm... let me get this straight, some of you decided you would rather have an "ugly" wife, or one that you keep under lock and key, than intelligent, career woman who you treat right? Where is the logic in that? I applaud housewives, don't get me wrong, but a woman CAN have a career and a family, and not cheat, or even be tempted to cheat. Women are not as naive as some of you think, we can generally spot the "wolf in sheep's clothing". Maybe I misunderstood, but maybe some of you need to get your priorities straight. Marriage is a partnership that takes the work of BOTH spouses, regardless of whether the woman stays home, or has a career.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am very sorry for what happened to your brother-in-law.

And I agree that the workplace can be a place where people "prowl". I also know that if these troubled wives, as you call them, didn't have troubles at home to begin with, then they would not need that sympathetic ear from another man.

And for wives who are looking for a sympathetic ear, they will find it anywhere, the workplace, the doctor's office, the grocery store, or in the confines of their home on the internet. Even keeping her under lock and key won't protect her if she is seeking sympathy.

Conversely, the same can be said for husbands. Husbands looking for someone to pet them and give them a little attention like these troubled wives you mention will also find it. And in the same places.

Yet, there are a countless men and women who work together all of the time who don't play those games. The are confident in themselves and trusting of their mates and grounded in their marriages. They don't have perfect relationships, but they have strong ones.

You said that men ought to be watching out for their families. I agree, and so should women. But that doesn't mean to view all working women as sympathy seekers nor all working men as wolves. And I know that you didn't say that, but men and women wouldn't have to "watch out" for their families (as a defense mechanism) as much, if they watched OVER each other more (as a nurturing device).

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FP, I don't think that's what they meant to say, even though that's how it came out. I think they were just trying to be funny.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am triple-posting here and I am awfully sorry about that, but I just now read the article in question.

All I can say is.....no WONDER I'm not married!! :tongue3:

Where was the author of this article when I needed him years ago? Why didn't somebody tell me that women who "work" more than 35 hours a week and make more than $30,000 per year make lousy wives! :confused:

Those are his statistics.

Oh, and he also said that contributing to the working wives wearing a big "L" for loser on their foreheads was having a college degree.

Well, good grief! I have two graduate degrees!

It's no wonder that I am husbandless....Ha!!!

.....according to this article I can't be potential wife material because I'm too smart, I work too hard, and I have too much money....Yee Ha!!!!

At least now I know. :smilewinkgrin: At least now I have an answer for everytime someone asks me, "Why aren't you married?!?!?"

It's always good to hear from the "experts", is it not?

Ha!! :laugh:

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

IMHO

Maybe some of us have decided that it is better to be treated right by an ugly woman than to be treated badly by an intelligent, career woman.

IMHO it is better to have a godly relationship with my wife than a worldly one . . . and if I place intelligence, looks, or career over godliness - that I have erred in God's book . . .

Again, that is my opinion.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Where can I buy my degree?

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Would you really consider someone you love "ugly"? I doubt you'd be treating her well.

16. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

I do appreciate my Mother's advice even more -- be certain when you marry that you are not unequally yoked, that the Lord is as important to your spouse as to yourself. Worked well for me for 45 years and still counting.

Oh, yeah, and she also said an education was good in and of itself. She was right there, too. I enjoyed being a stay-at-home mom when my children were young. And at 50 a wonderfully fun career was offered, accepted and enjoyed. Wouldn't have traded a day of my life for anything different. (Well, there was that one rattlesnake hunt in Oklahoma.....)

17. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

18. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I see some knuckles dragging the ground in this thread.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    **SPLAAAT!!*

Good grief! Now who's gonna help me clean up the Sprite that I just spit out all over my monitor?!?

:laugh: ;) :eek: :laugh:

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Daisy

Petty comments do not do a lady well . . .

It would take me days to be that tacky in return . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.