1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Forced to serve?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jereynolds, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then you and I are on the same page.

I would say no, too.

I am not going to keep the nursery for a HOST of reasons.

But not one of them has anything to do with "feeling called".

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Just now, all our schools are languishing for lack of teachers. O you who would have your crown studded with gems, seek them among the little ones! It is a happy task, however arduous it may be, so give yourselves to it with your whole heart and soul.
    Others of you, if you do not feel called to take a class of children, might sometimes speak words of warning to the grosser sinners with whom you come into contact—and words of encouragement to those who are seeking the Savior." —Charles Spurgeon, "Bringing Sinners to the Savior"

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The words of Spurgeon are weighty because of how God used him but they are not infallible.

Having read Spurgeon for many years I also am convinced that he would concur with my take on "feeling called".

I don't have a problem with the phrase per say. If what one means by it is that he recognizes that he is not gifted in an area, etc... then that's ok.

But if it means that some feeling washes over you with no rhyme nor reason for it and you take that to be God and make your decision based on it- that's very problematic.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just what the OP meant. That's what's generally meant.

Anyway, back to the actual topic. . .

Is the church's childcare drudgery scheme prorated?

Say a Duggar wannabe family shows up.

Does the church issue the work orders per family or per child?

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I believe it does.

Are we to deal with people on the basis of ...."an eye for an eye, tooth for a toothl"

"you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours. You ignor my back, you get nothing"

Or are we to extent grace?

I believe grace it what is called for in our dealings with our christian brothers and sisters, and even with the lost within reason.

#65 Alive in Christ, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  6. Alive in Christ

....and regarding extending grace, I believe that means that if a a particular mother refuses to searve, we JOYFULLY take care of her babies anyway.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am still waiting on Reverend Mitchell to tell us how he covers his sermons when he takes his turn in the nursery. Maybe if I join your church, I can decide what church role you should serve in.

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

When our kiddoes were small, we kept them in church with us even when there was a nursery.

And yes, we refused to help in the nursery.

But when our kiddoes got a bit bigger and benefitted from the nursery, which was a well oiled machine with two ladies called to serve there, fully investigated and vetted, with the rest asked to take turns as aides to them, we put our kiddoes in and served.

They grew older and we again started keeping them with us, around aged three. And we stopped helping out in the nursery because we needed to be with our own kiddies.

As our children got older I often took a turn helping in the nursery.

We've followed the same pattern with grands.

But here is the kicker we've found: back in the day, most parents WOULD take a turn now and again if they wanted to put children in the nursery or childrens' church.

Not nowadays. Most parents seem to be assuming "someone else" owes them a free ride.

It has gotten so bad one large Baptist church in the area put a big screen tv in the fellowship hall, shows the service there, closed the nursery, and offers parents the choice of sanctuary or fellowhip hall, tending their own wee ones.

My take: walking through the doors of a church does not relieve you of your parenting duties, nor is the church bad if it doesn't offer you free babysitting.

Worship with your children is best, and next best is find a way to help if you want a nursery.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not seen where anyone is doing that.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

waiting.........................

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think there are places parents can serve, whether it is in regularly or irregularly keeping the "nursery" or doing child care, or providing resources such as snacks, toys, supplies, etc.

Not all people do well working with children.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here's a thought...maybe this mystical "calling" being described occurs when you are asked to serve with the children (when you HAVE children)....yet some call it nonsense and absurd. I guess a "calling" is only something we like to do or we feel important enough doing.

13. Alive in Christ

Rev Mitchell...you said that you "did not see anyone doing that".

You posted...

That is the "anti-grace" attitude I am against.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not anti-grace, that is your extreme characterization to demonize someone you disagree with. Now that is what I call anti-grace.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am surprised there is so much emotion over this issue. You guys have fun. :godisgood:

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sure you are.

17. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Does this view point extend to all areas of church life?

Is there a monitor at the door to the fellowship hall? If you don't bring a covered dish yourself, you can't eat what others brought.

If you don't sing in the choir, you can't listen to their voices?

If you don't teach a Sunday School class, you can't attend one?

If you don't help clean the restrooms, you can use one?

If you don't lead a Bible study group, you can't attend the meetings?

If you don't help vacuum the carpet, you can't walk down the isle to pray at the alter?

Frankly, sometimes it's amazing how many ways Christians can put stumbling blocks in the path of others. You MUST take classes before being baptised. You MUST be a "volunteer" in Children's Ministry if you have children in church. You MUST bring a covered dish to fellowship with others.

We want people to come to church. When they do, we want to apply LAW in some form for them to worship our Lord. What was the ONLY thing the thief on the cross have to do to be in Paradise with Christ?

Yes, there are people who take advantage of any situtation to serve themselves first. Those with groceries in the pantry will get in line when the truly needy are fed a meal. (Free holiday meals come to mind.) Yes, there are people who will not humble themselves to mop a floor or wash a dish. The world is full of takers. I'm sure that every church has their share of them, too.

Aren't those the very ones we are trying to reach in our ministries? Or, are we trying to find subtle and not so subtle ways to turn them away because they don't meet our "Christian" standards?

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me tell you a true story of one young courageous lady who took action!
    In the good ole days of the Baptist church we attended, we had the normal SS,MW,EW and Wed PM- four services per week that needed a nursery worker. A chart was put up by the nursery for church members to sign up. Often no one would sign up so Mary Ann (this young lady) often ended staying in the nursery. Well, one month - as soon as the list was put up - Mary Ann signed up for all 16 dates! Immediately other church members starting complaining about Mary Ann -what was she trying to prove- was she trying to be sarcastic, stick her nose up at others or what. She finally explained - "since no one else volunteers, I would end up in the nursery anyways - so I figure I'll make it easy on everyone"* Little by little the other ladies scratch out her name and wrote their name in.
    ( * not an exact quote - but extremely close)

19. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup::thumbsup: While I would prefer that people end up finally working where they feel "called"...I find that most people who simply want to do no work never seem to quite figure out where they are "called" to serve....The easiest way to get them to figure out the answer to that question is to put them to work doing something they don't like....They'll figure out where they are "called" to serve soon enough.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who said it did?

All non sequiturs.

No, what you call "stumbling block" is the normal practice of leaders leading and followers following. Amazed how many on this thread have a problem with leadership and authority!
    Equating the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit with the day to dayn operation of a local church is plain silly. We don't want people to "come to church"...we want Christ changed lives and the ability to serve others.
    More than you know. The main problem is applying a democratic process to a theocratic one. We don't all get a vote, God has determined the roles we play in the church, and not one has a sheep telling a shepherd where they "feel called" to go
    you make the mistake of also equating the requirements of members who are believers to the lost visiting. Silly to even suggest we would require a visitor to stay with their child or anyone who is not a screened believer to work with children.