1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forget about drums in the Church...

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by UnchartedSpirit, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Choctawman

Choctawman New Member

Come to think of it, the song 'Jesus, Lover of my Soul' would be a good candidate for a saxaphone piece.... There are some who regard certainly instruments as 'sensual' in nature simply because that has been their experience with them. If they would not allow certainly musical instruments for that reason, they'd probably make some people get around in wheel chairs because the gait of their walk would be too 'sensual' as well! :laugh:

Just about any musical instrument can be played to the glory of the Lord. If the hearer considers it 'sensual' then perhaps THEY need to rethink what their standards are rather than someone using their talents to glorify God. Perhaps a chorus of angels would be more than they could handle too! :confused:

Along that line, there are good pieces of software that will transpose music for just about any 'normal' orchestra and band instrument. If you're looking for a way to put piano music into the proper key for other instruments, you should check out some of the titles out there too.... :thumbs: The package that I use will allow me write anyting from a single staff score to a full score for as many as 12 instruments and it was only $39.00! Oh well, don't want to get sidetracked here...

Choctawman :type:

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Ditto..........................................

3. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I'd probably at best be removed from the music store if not arrested compleately if I just grabbed and instrument and started playing....

4. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

:laugh: You and me both! :laugh: I am so tone deaf it's amazing they don't ask me to stay in the foyer during the music part of the service! :praying: that one day God might give me some musical talent. :laugh:

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why......?

6. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Uncharted Spirit,

You wrote : "
    I'd probably at best be removed from the music store if not arrested compleately if I just grabbed and instrument and started playing.... "

Not really, the sales rep would come over to make sure that you aren't going to break the instrument. I'll play a drum to hear its sound in the store and discuss somethings with the sales rep. That's how I make a decision regarding my purchase of an instrument.

In every music store that I've ever visited, there was always someone trying out a guitar,bass,keys,etc.

Of course, there's the old adage : " You break, you buy !" :laugh:

In Christ,

Dale

7. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Re: Forget About DXrums in the Church...

Dear YoungMom4,

You wrote : " I am so tone deaf it's amazing they don't ask me to stay in the foyer during the music part of the service! :praying: that one day God might give me some musical talent. :laugh: "

Regarding " I am so tone deaf it's amazing they don't ask me to stay in the foyer during the music part of the service! "

I suspect that you may not be the only one in the congregation with that " problem ". :laugh:

And there's nothing wrong for asking God to give you musical talent to use in worshipping Him ! In fact, IT'S WONDERFUL !!!

God gave me the desire to play music for Him and the talent to play skilfully in worshipping Him. And I have been doing so for the last 30 years !

Regarding being " tone deaf "... A question, can you sing the melody line of the hymns or not ? If you can, then you're not as " tone deaf " as you think. You might have a " problem " with being " on key " or " on pitch ", which is easily corrected by having someone who sings well in your church to help you.

To wit, in my church's contemporary worship music ensemble, there are 6 teenage girls who sing with the ensemble on a rotating basis. And they've had problems being on key, pitch, breath control,etc. and they have beautiful voices.

One of the women in our choir teaches voice and has sung in professional secular choirs ( the Baltimore Symphony Choir, the Bach Choir,etc. ). For the past 6 weeks, she's been teaching all of the girls by using vocal techniques, enunciation, breath control, discipline, etc. and her and the girls' hard work is " paying off ". They also practice their voice lessons at home.

The songs sound much better and the girls are more confident in their singing and the songs sound better than before !

Last Thursday at practice she asked the girls to pick a pitch and begin doing their vocal exercises. They were able to do so with confidence. Six weeks ago, they struggled.

I hope that this helps you and encourages you ! And I'll pray that God gives you the talent and the means to develop that talent. :thumbs:

In Christ,

Dale

#27 Dale McNamee, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  8. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

9. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear YoungMom4,

I did some looking up of on-line vocal lessons/CD instruction and came across some interesting links regarding them:

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/voicetraining.html

http://www.ilearntoplay.com/content/en/default.aspx

http://affordablesingingvoicelessons.com/

http://www.exploreyourvoice.com/onlinesales/onlinepurchase.html

http://www.jeanniedeva.com/

Check them out, they're a good alternative to live lessons, especially in terms of cost, and if you don't have a local voice teacher.

In Christ,

Dale

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

11. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

They were good, that was fantastic but we still will need MORE cowbell.