1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forgiveness

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Victory in Jesus, Jul 22, 2005.

1. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Dina,

forgiveness should be immediate and complete. (hard work, I know) But restoration and rebuilt trust takes time. Some relationships may be damaged to the point of not being able to be restored. Even then forgivenss is commanded. We shouldn't confuse forgiveness with acceptance or restoration. Being forgiving does not mean you become a doormat.

2. Dina

Dina New Member

Well, yea.

That is what I was saying, just not in so many words.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I thought this was touching and might 'fit' here. [​IMG]

Tearing Apart

Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him. - Proverbs 29:20

He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive. - Proverbs 27:27

In June of 2004, the Albany, New York firefighters made a mistake during a training exercise. The firefighters were practicing the use of the Jaws of Life and tore apart a minivan at the junk yard where the exercise was supposed to take place. However, it was just a three-year-old vehicle, a 2002 Dodge Caravan, that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The firefighters should have used another older vehicle for the practice exercise. As a result, the city’s share of the bill for the destroyed minivan was $12,000.

Think of the shock of the owner of the minivan to discover that their vehicle had been torn apart and destroyed. Even though it was a mistake, and the firefighters were of course sorry, the damage had still been done. A year later it appears the owner may receive compensation for the mistake but there was still damage that cannot be repaired.

Have you ever said something to someone that you wish that you had not said? I have. Have you ever attacked someone verbally and found out later that you were wrong? I have. My mouth at times seems to have a mind of its own and has spewed out words, which tore, I’m sure; at the heart of the person I was attacking. The apostle James writes about the tongue, “Indeed, we put bits in horses' mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things (James 3:3-5).”

The tongue can be a dangerous thing and can cause great damage if it is not under control. James goes on to say, “Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so (James 3:10).” The tongue can be controlled.

The next time you are tempted to lash out verbally at someone remember the mistake of the firefighters. Remember that when you tear into someone with your tongue that you cause damage that is very difficult if not impossible to repair. However, if you do find out you have torn into someone by mistake - admit it. Tell them you are sorry and that you were wrong. It will not completely repair the damage but it will help and it is the responsible Christian thing to do.

Copyright © 2003-2005. Ed Wrather. Permission is given for use of the devotionals on a non-profit basis with source credited. Subscribe by sending a blank email to [email protected]

4. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hear what you are saying VIJ. A friend's husband bragged about hurting her almost three years ago. I try to deal with it by knowing that God will deal with him in His way and in His time. It is not up to me or anyone else to have the you deserved that attitude. (Proverbs 24-17-18) Do not let your heart be glad when your enemny falls; Lest the lord see this and it displease Him and He turneth away His wrath from him. When we have the you deserved that attitude, the wy Proverbs 24:17-18 talks about, are we not robbing God of His plans to deal with the person who wronged us? Isn't this mocking God? It seems like it to me.
    Faitgirl46

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (This is my prayer partner and me sending you and your congregation lots of prayers and Christian love.)

You can count on our prayers.

BiR

6. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Also, Diane, the next time we are tempted to lash out at somebody, we need to realize that we are also lashing out at Jesus. If others are there, we need to realize that our improper actions are going to teach them a lesson God didn't want them to learn. This is especially true when it comes to kids.
    Faithgirl46

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Scripture that speaks so loudly to me is:

Matthew 15:16 So Jesus said, "Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."

Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

Matthew 12:34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

When Jesus was accused, He remained silent... did not speak in His own defense. We should do the same!

Children call out, 'Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me' but that's so very wrong. Words hurt much worse than a slap across the face. [​IMG] I would much rather you beat me than speak wrongly against me.

8. Rachel

Rachel New Member

So true! And like has been said before, alot of times people just keep on doing or saying things without really being sorry about it. Don't you just love how people get away with so much? But we will all answer to God one day for what we say and do.

Just try to avoid them if you're able too and give it to God.
    [​IMG]