Former archbishop admits shuffling abusive priests

Discussion in 'News / Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 16, 2008.

  1. Revmitchell

    Expand Collapse
    Well-Known Member

    Feb 18, 2006
    Likes Received:
    The former head of Milwaukee's Catholic community has admitted returning sexually abusive priests to active ministry without telling parishioners.

    In a portion of a videotaped deposition released this week, retired Archbishop Rembert Weakland says he knew no parish would have accepted such a priest unless it could be said he had gone through psychological examination and was not a risk to the parish.

    Weakland gave the deposition in June to a lawyer representing seven men and women who claim they were assaulted by priests. Their lawyer released the videotape after the Archdiocese of Milwaukee argued last month that the deaths of key people involved in covering up sexual abuse made it difficult to get a fair trial and a loss could bankrupt the archdiocese.

    More Here

Share This Page