1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Former coach of the year fired from Christian school for out-of-wedlock pregnancy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In an incredibly bizarre situation that appears headed for a legal challenge, a Dallas-area volleyball coach and science teacher was fired by the Christian school at which she worked for becoming pregnant before being married.

As first reported by Dallas Fort Worth network WFAA, Rockwall (Texas) Heritage Christian Academy volleyball coach and science teacher Cathy Samford was fired during the fall semester after she became pregnant out of wedlock. Samford had led the volleyball program for three years and had been named the school's coach of the year once during that span.

Still, that couldn't help save her job when she first admitted her pregnancy during the fall semester, with the school terminating her based on a violation of her contract's morals clause because it was determined her pregnancy meant she could not serve as "a Christian role model."

"I looked it up and thought, 'They can't do this,'" the 29-year-old Samford told WFAA. "We all have different views and interpretations. It's not necessarily the Christian thing to do to throw somebody aside because of those."

The rest of the story and video is at http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...stian-school-wedlock-pregnancy-145601399.html

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Seems to me the school had no real choice. She had made her own choice and forced the schools hand on the issue. Morality clauses exist for these types of issues and they exist for a reason. When she was hired she was aware of the standard and the consequences.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How would you say that compares to what Jesus said and did in John 8:3-11, The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court], they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act. "Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?" They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground. But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the center of the court. Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Jesus did not ignore sin. He confronted it and held people accountable with love and grace. The pharisees were wrong and were just trying to trap Jesus. Otherwise they would have brought the man with the woman according to the Law.

The coach/teacher was warned in advance. She agreed to the terms of her employment. Her yes must be yes and her no must be no.

Mat 5:36 "Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black.
    Mat 5:37 "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is of evil.

Further both Matthew 18 and 1 Corinthians 5 explicitly show us that accountability is honoring to God, and good for the body of Christ. Our hope is always restoration of the sinner. That does not negate the proper discipline as a consequence of our actions.

Also, like the elders of a church the leadership of the school has a responsibility to the group as a whole. They must work to protect them from the influence of sin and false teaching. We see this in action over and over again in Jesus' confrontations with the religious leaders and in the letters of the N.T.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was she married after giving birth?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There was a contract that she signed (the moral clause) and she violated that contract. End of story, IMO.

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

It does not say anything about her getting married. I would assume that it would if she did.

The article says she has a lawyer and is looking to file a discrimination suit. This is another violation of Scripture per 1 Cor 6.

Pray for her.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The idea of Mt. 18 is restoration of the sinner. How does what the school did to terminate her contract apply? Let's say that she went to another city and had an abortion then her public image would not have been tainted and the school would not have known.

How do you restore someone who is pregnant? Make them un-pregnant? A pregnancy is an obvious statement to all. If she were to say publicly that what she did was wrong would that not make a louder statement to young people than trying to hide her from the students?

When I was in seminary a young lady repented publicly that she was having sex with her fiance who was studying to be a pastor. Neither of them were asked to leave the school. She repented but the lady in the story cannot undue her pregnancy. Is there any real difference between the two stories?

My question would be: how is she any different than the woman caught in adultery and how is the school any different than the Pharisees?

I personally know a man who was a pastor whose wife cheated in him. He gave the church his resignation and they refused. I have never seen such a changed man. They asked him to step down as pastor and get counseling for as long as he needed. They told him that they needed him when he came but now he needs them. The public in the city heard about it and came flocking to the church. The church doubled practically overnight.

We serve both a righteous and merciful God. If God created just a merciful society then we would be a place where sin is rampant. If He created a society run by justice then not one of us would measure up. There is the fine line we walk. If we were to do as the OT law suggests we would condemn her to death. Nobody seems to be suggesting that. Why not?

If I were to have made public the things I knew about a number of leaders in every church I pastored except one, most of the leaders would be asked to leave.

For example how many pastors would need to leave the pulpit because not all of their children are believers if justice were practiced? Yet, is that practiced today in churches?

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This has absolutely nothing to do with being held accountable to Christian behavior in Scripture. You've completely misapplied this text.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many pastors children today are not all believers. Why is their dismissal not practiced today? I think there is a reason why a pastor is called an elder in scripture and they came from within their respective congregations. They were already proven. How many pastors who come from a seminary are already making disciples and have already proven themselves? My guess is less than 5%.

11. Ed B

Ed B Member

Yes, she forced their hand based on the morality clause. I am glad she didn't try to save her job by covering up that sin by having an abortion.

I guess it is a good thing most sins are not so visible or else Christian schools would have a constantly revolving door.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think there is any question about her sin. Where is the man? How have I misapplied the text? I understand the text to mean that the Pharisees wanted to condemn her for her adultery. How is that any different than the lady in the story. She is not an elder in a church. If one were to suggest that she is a teacher and that applies just as it would in a church then is not the school in violation of scripture by having a woman teacher.

The school knows about her situation--sin. Does one show mercy or judgment on that? Seems to me that God does both and so should we.

If every time I knew about a leader in a church who did something wrong in their business or in society I would be condemning a lot of people. When I look at myself I am not without sin.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Churches would definitely have a revolving door too.

One of my questions would be because it is easy to say she violated the contract she should go, but on the other hand what is best and how would one deal with her as God would? She will experience the results of her sin and hopefully experience His mercy too.

My family experienced pain when I was pastoring and our daughter was given 8 out of 9 of the academic awards one year in her grade. We did not have a lot of friends after that. People would say some of the nastiest things to us. We had nothing to do with who got the awards. The only thing we were guilty of was being new to the town.

We moved to another city and much the same thing happened and I cannot remember anybody saying anything negative.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is there a directive in Scripture that a pastor's children all need to be saved?

We've had a few of our elders/deacons step down because of having children who have not just not been saved but have been destructive to the family. In some cases, the family had restoration and the elder/deacon came back into ministry and in some cases, they never did.

I agree about the pastors coming from within the congregation and we've practiced that. All but our senior pastor have come from within the congregation. Some have gone out to begin new congregations or to take over others but they have been proven - not just since their training but from before that. They have proven themselves to be qualified to be in the ministry. I like that. :)

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Titus 1:6.

If a man is not making disciples now under a pastor in a church where he can be helped then how would he have proven himself before leading a church where he is the main leader and expected to teach others as Jesus did. I think that is the main reason why we have so much trouble in churches today and so many men are not equipped to lead well. I was fortunate in that for a few years I was under a pastor who made disciples and he guided me even though I had done it for awhile with students.

I know a church that practices discipleship in action all through the years. The older mentor the younger. The older being about 70. A number of people have been to a Bible school for the sole purpose of being better equipped.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it had mattered at all if she would have ended up marrying the father, and having a "real family/"

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another question would be, "Would it had mattered at all if she would have ended up getting an abortion and they never found out?"

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would jesus have allowed her to even stay around and part of his female "posse?"

19. Ed B

Ed B Member

Agree. This issue is one of our modern dilemmas. If we strongly ostracize giving birth out of wedlock we run the real risk of causing more abortions. The Churches around here tend to support the unwed mother and encourage her so that sin is not compounded further through abortion. I think that is a good thing.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

That is an easy one as the above, with respect to what Jesus did and said, had nothing to do with the woman (per-say) but the 'issue' the Pharisees brought to him.

They were guilty of sin in the same issue being brought (caught her in the act, but where was the man.. among other issues). The law states they could not try her because they were in sin, and depending on how one looks at it, the same sin. Jesus used this very thing against them because they brought up the law - he who is without sin cast the first stone. The first stone was typically for the witness or judge(s) in question. Thus according to the law, Jesus could not condemn her because she had no accusers who were witnessed to the event. Therefore his statement - neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more. He didn't question whether she WAS in sin, but in relation to the law of Moses through which she was brought, Jesus gave the only godly verdict possible. Go (you are free).. but he gave His Godly conclusion - sin no more. (don't do this again).

#20 Allan, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.