1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Former KJVO whose eyes are now open!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Deborah B., Oct 8, 2004.

1. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

All of my life I only read the KJV, but here is my experience with the KVJ. I, for the most part, had no problems comprehending the 4 gospels when I read them, but when I got to Paul's epistles I could read an entire chapter or book and not be able to comprehend hardly anything that had I just read. It was like I was just reading words. Hardly any of it made sense to me because of the way it is structured, too many comas, run-on sentences, etc., not to mention the odd verbs and pronouns. The book or Revelation really became a headache to me when all the symbolism was added to my confusion. Sooooo, I then purchased a KJV study bible, thinking that would help me understand. NOPE! I found myself relying on the footnotes of that particular author's point of view more than God's words. My whole pupose for reading the Bible is for me to personally comprehend and apply God's words to my life. I was really hesitant to try a MV. I was going to look into getting a NKJV, but then I saw online the satanic symbol it uses for the trinity, so that scared me away. I have never even wanted to consider NIV, just my personal opinion. I did not even want to consider any dynamic equivalent, MSG, etc., So I ended up trying to decide between NASB or HCSB. After some prayer about it, I ended up getting HCSB. The first thing I did when I received it was read 2 Corinthians to see how I comprehended it. WOW! What a difference. It is like a sheet has been lifted from my eyes! [​IMG] Then I was transferring notes from my KJV to my HCSB and I have not found anything that changes what what the meaning of any passage was intended to be. HCSB just makes the sentence structure more pleasing to my brain! I love the way it is formatted too. I am not a biblical scholar, so I like the way OT verses are set in bold, pronouns capitalized when representing deity, etc. [​IMG] On the few occasions that I favor versus from KVJ (1 John 5:7, which is ommitted in HCSB, or the wording of the the Lord's prayer of Mathew 6:9) I just manually write it at the top of the page for me personally.

My mother, who is a simple-minded person and not well educated, has really never understood any of the KJV. But she would never consider a MV either. I let her borrow mine, and she is in shock. She loves it! She told me, "I know what you will be getting me for Christmas, hint, hint".

So, to sum it up, for the first time when reading the Bible, I am comprehending everything that I am reading without study helps. I even understand Revelation. [​IMG] So how can the HCSB not be the inspired words of God when I feel so much closer to God when reading my Bible now? The devil cannot and would not bring me closer to God's message. He would do just the opposite, right? Right! I think when we use the phrase "the inspired words of God" that this actually means (or should mean)"the inspired message of God". I don't think God wants us to read His book and not comprehend what we are reading because of 400 year old language and grammar barriers. His word/message is for everybody!

HCSB = The inspired message/word of God. [​IMG]
    KJV = The inspired message/word of God, if you can comprehend it all. [​IMG]

Praise Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior!

Deborah - former KJVO, present God's word/message only
    [​IMG]

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks for the post Deborah. I too have purchased the HCSB and it is indeed a very good translation. I also read from the NIV but my new favorite is the NKJV. That symbol that pertains to the NKJV was discussed in detail here, and it has been dismissed as being more KJVO nonsense. At any rate, I don't find that emblem on either of the two NKJV Bibles I own.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many times the KJV has run on sentences. But they don't always adhere to the Greek sentence structure either. For example in Phil. 2:2-4 in the Greek text it is one sentence. But the KJV makes it two sentences with two verbs. They even added some additional words just in that short passage alone.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I first became a Christian I also was given a KJV and staretd reading it. I was hungry and understood very little. I told the man who gave it to me that I could not undertaand that language. So we went down to the Christian bookstore and bought one I could understand. I read that Bible for about one hour every day. I literally wore it out in just a few years. The book was falling apart. So I bought another soon thereafter.

Which is better to have a KJV that isn't read or an NAS that is. Since that time I have read and worn out many Bibles. Yes and even a few Greek NT's.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am glad that you have found a translation that you enjoy Deborah. I don't own a copy, but have examined it online myself and frankly, I don't see what all of the fuss is about.

Nice translation I am sure, but just don't see what others see it as being revolutionary or that much different that any number of other newer versions.

I disagree that it is good enough to have the "message of God." God inspired His Word and every Word He chose is important.

6. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

I just found out recently that the pastor of my church uses the NKJV. This man is truely a man of God. Everything in his life is centered around God. Everyone who hears him preach knows that the is "eat up" with the Holy Spirit. If the NKVJ is good enough for him, it would be good enough for me too. I did read the recent posts on the symbol in the NKJV. I personally think that the one's that have it in their edition should take it out just to avoid divisions it can cause. I do plan on NKJV to be my next bible purchase though. [​IMG]

Praise Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior!

Deborah

7. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Since this is the first and only MV that I have and it is the only one that I can compare KJV to, for me personally it is revolutionary! [​IMG] I do like the format of HCSB compared to other MV's that I have seen online. It sets some scripture indentations in the NT where flow of the verses seems very poetic instead of just paragraph form. I think it is lovely!

Because of Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior,

Deborah [​IMG]

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We often see what we are looking for. If we want to see Jesus we focus on Him. If we want to see symbols then we focus on them.

When we focus on Christ there are a lot of things we don't see because we are so intent on Him.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something often forgotten is the fact that God has different work for different believers, and that work may require the use of several BVs.

Congrats, Deborah! But I hope you continue to use the KJV along with whatever other versions you've chosen.

There are several other former KJVOs here, and I'd like to see'em check in.(I was NEVER KJVO.)

10. David J

David J New Member

Deborah B.,

I too am a former KJVO.

I left the KJVO Camp when I read the first KJV which is the AV1611. The Message to the Reader in the 1611 KJV was enough to bump me from the ranks of KJVOism. The AV translators said the following:

“Yet for all that it cannot be dissembled...[that] it hath pleased God in his diuine prouidence, heere and there, to scatter wordes and sentences of that difficultie and doubtfulnesse, not in doctrinal points that concerne saluation (for in such it hath beene vouched that the Scriptures are plaine) but in matters of lesse moment, that fearfulnesse would better beseeme vs than confidence. . .and to resolue upon modestie....There be many words in Scripture, which be neuer found there but once. ..there be many rare names of certaine birds, beastes and precious stones, &c. concerning which the Hebrews themselves are so divided among themselves...so to determine of such things as the Spirit of God hath left (euen in thejudgement of the iudicious) questionable, can be no lesse than presumption. Therefore as S. Augustine saith, that varietie of Translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures; so diuersitie of signification and sense in the margine, where the text is not so cleare, must needes doe good, yea, is necessary, as we are perswaded....They that are wise, had rather haue their judgements at libertie in differences of readings, then to be captiuated to one, when it may be the other.”

My first bible outside of the Oxford 1769 KJV was the KJ21. The KJ21 is nice but it still leaves some things not corrected like Acts 5:30 and 2 Peter 1:1.

A friend of mine recommended the NIV and NASB(1995). From looking at these two translations I did not care for the NIV. I just prefer a more literal translation like the KJV, NKJV, NASB, etc...

When I read the NASB(1995) the clarity was there for me. It flows easier than the KJV and I found it to be a very helpful translation for study.

There is nothing wrong with the KJV if you can understand it and do your homework researching some of the words that have changed meanings etc... I just feel that I should not be forced to by a 1828 dictionary and other tools in order to understand the KJV fully. The bible should be in the common tongue so that everybody can understand the Word of the Most High.

I find myself reading the bible more since I switched to the NASB. I still reference the KJV simple because I like the was the KJV and NKJV renders some verses better, but then again the NASB renders some verses better than the KJV and NKJV. Basically I am following the advice of the AV1611 translators in that I study from different translations.

I'm glad that you found a translation that you enjoy reading. We are commanded to study the Word and put His Word in our hearts.

I have never looked back since I left KJVOism. The KJV is a fine translation but I see it becoming less and less used simply because the language of the KJV is not used today. For those who are KJV preferred then that is 100% fine with me. I have never told anyone to stop using the KJV. I use the Geneva Bible(1599) in my studies so for me to tell someone not to use the KJV would be a double standard [​IMG]

In Christ,
    David J

11. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

What I have been doing, since this is a very, very new translation, I read a chapter or section in my KJV Life Application Study Bible, then I read the study notes in my LA Study Bible, then I read the corresponding verses in the HCSB.

I will never abandon my beloved KJV, as I have read that version ever since I was a child (even though I didn't understand a lot of it [​IMG] ). I just find myself even more "hungry" for His word now that I have found a version that I actually comprehend and don't get frustrated with and give up. This may sound "weird", but I suffer from cluster migraines (meaning many trivial things can trigger a migraine in me, as often as everyday :( ), and when I would be in difficult passages in the KJV it would trigger a migraine just from me having to concentrate and think so hard on it. And being that I work full time, raising three children, taking care of the house, being the spiritual leader in my house, etc., I really don't have time to do extensive research just to figure out what passages mean in the KJV. With the HCSB, all I have to do is read it with ease and I am understanding what I am reading. Therefore, I can also pass on what I am learning to my three children, and also my neighbor's three children whom I have been counseling and bringing to church with me and my family. (Their 15-year-old son told me last week that he has been saved now and is ready to be baptized and join the church that I attend! [​IMG] Praise Jesus!) HCSB has been a blessing in my life, and I am thankful for it. I shall use both KJV and HCSB in my study of God's word/message. After I have read all of the HCSB, then I will have to figure out which to read next, NKJV or NASB?

Because of Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior! [​IMG]

Deborah

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Deborah, I am glad that God has used your HCSB to show you the truth of Christian accountability. All throughout the Pauline epistles, we are told that we must work to obtain the reward. I can see how you might miss it in the KJV, but if you have a better word of God now, I don't see how you can go wrong. God Bless!

I think what you have seen is the truth that the KJV does not teach what modern bible teachers teach, but the new versions do. It is no wonder that people have trouble understanding the KJV when their pastor tells them that the words mean the opposite of what they say. Faith = works. See how that faith?

13. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

I have never been taught faith by works. My pastor is very adamant about Ephesians 2:8-9.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Not of works, lest any man should boast. KJV

For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift—
    not from works, so that no one can boast. HCSB

No contradictions there. It is plainly stated in both versions.

I believe if you are truely saved that the good "works" are the results of being saved by God's grace, therein lies the rewards according to the judgement seat of Christ.

11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
    12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
    13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
    14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
    Titus 2:11-14 KJV

Praise Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior! [​IMG]

Deborah

14. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

James,

Could you give an example of words that pastors using MV would preach that is different from KVJ that would change the meaning of a passage?

Because of Christ,
    Deborah

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

James, my pastor is about as conservative as you can get. He will sometimes read from the KJV and then explain the older language with a newer version during a Bible study. By doing this, the KJV wording actually becomes clearer. It does NOT change.

BTW, show me where faith=works in any mainstream accepted MV. My pastor has NEVER preached that concept, in fact, that is one of his favorite subjects--that works is not required for salvation. He uses an MV to prove it, every time.

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Are gehenna and hades the same place?

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

By the way, in my opinion, James' response to Deborah clearly shows why the KJVO groups can only cause confusion among Christians. This is caused by making them doubt what they read in the Word of God. . . this is where the theory actually can cause damage.

It is funny how a KJVO would rather pull a Christian down by telling them they are reading the wrong Bible, rather than holding them up and giving them Christian support to what both the KJV and the NASB teach.

I feel this may also be the reason that every KJVO church that I have been around seems to have no out-reach. They dwell on their non-Biblical theory more than they dwell on the Bible (whatever translation).

We are behind you Deborah; buy your mother that Bible. We all need a Bible in the language that we actually speak. God has provided and kept His Word alive as He promised He would! [​IMG]

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Are gehenna and hades the same place?

Hey James . . . you do any other tricks?

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Compare between the KJV and modern versions:

1. The KJV is superior over modern versions: 4-fold "T": Texts, Translators, Technique and Theology

2. 99% MSS (5210 of 5255 MSS) supported the KJV; 1% MSS (45 of 5255 MSS) supported modern versions.

3. The KJV - #1 - Most people among churches and ministries used for many years.

4. The KJV is still used since 400 years.

5. Modern versions omitted important names of our Lord Jesus Christ in the New Testament alone 200 times!

20. David J

David J New Member

1. The KJV is superior over modern versions: 4-fold "T": Texts, Translators, Technique and Theology

Opinion! Show us the scripture that says the KJV is the only English bible and which KJV!

2. 99% MSS (5210 of 5255 MSS) supported the KJV; 1% MSS (45 of 5255 MSS) supported modern versions.

Another lie designed to scare people.

3. The KJV - #1 - Most people among churches and ministries used for many years.

Thats not true today. By using your logic we should all be using the NIV since it is the most popular translation today.

Next....

4. The KJV is still used since 400 years.

But not the first AV1611 that contained the Apocrypha and marginal notes referring to alternate readings etc...

Your point is? I still use a 1599 Geneva.

More KJVO spin...

5. Modern versions omitted important names of our Lord Jesus Christ in the New Testament alone 200 times!

And the KJV weakens Jude 1:25 when compared to the NASB.

The KJV weakens 2 Peter 1:1 when compared to the NIV.

etc...

Another KJVO deception. Notice that our flamming kJVO friend Askjo always excludes the KJV from his own style of judging bibles. If he were honest in his beliefs and held the KJV to his own standards then he would admit the ONLY THE AV1611 is right and the current KJV's are distortions of the AV1611.

Just review the post by our KJVOist and you will see a big problem with the KJVOism.

Don't let them scare you with lies and emotional reasoning. They have no scripture to support the KJVO myths. They could end the bible translation debate if only they could provide the scripture that says KJV and which KJV.

Everything that they throw at you, you can apply it to the the KJV. They will run for the hills usually using silence as a defense. It's like a cross to a vampire when the KJVO theories are applied to the KJV family(1611-1873, NKJV, KJ21 & TMB).