1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forsaking the assembly and Hebrews 10

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Daniel David, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Here is the passage under consideration:

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

This passage has nothing to do with missing services. This passage does have everything to do with those who have walked away, and rejected (FORSAKE) Christ and His church. I am never for missing services. I think a person should be in church as often as possible. I also don't think people can Scripturally use this passage to lump guilt upon others like it so often is.

Consider this:

If you miss church, there is no more sacrifice and you have stomped upon the blood of Christ.

WRONG.

Out like that interpretation.

2. yankeefan

yankeefan New Member

3. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Really, I have always taken it to me that. Not that you can't miss any given Sunday (I have certainly missed enough) but that you shouldn't declare yourself spiritually independent and not take part in any group at all. I have met some who have told me this, though they are not good examples because clearly they were not true believers.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

And that is exactly the point.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, the forsaking here is not just about an haphazard attitude toward attending church, but completely forsaking (walking away, as you said) the body of believers, giving good evidence of rejecting the Lord and His teachings. An evidence of a true profession is found in consideration of the brethren in such a fashion as to continue walking with them, doing one's part to edify, exhort and encourage one another - provoking one another unto good works.

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I agree...to forsake...means to turn away from on purpose.