1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forsaking The Fountain of Living Waters

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Jer 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

Here is a verse rich with suggestive connotations. Note first that they were God’s people. They had committed two great evils. First, they had forsaken or turned away from God, The Fountain of Living Waters. Not only had the left something, but they began actively hewing out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

Could one safely assume that they had encountered condemnation? Were they really digging cisterns or was that suggestive of sinful and selfish activities? What was the hope of their end and to what end did their choices fianlly gender? Are there any lessons for us today that can be found by the contempaltion of this rich passage?

Another passage to consider: De 31:17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them,

Did not God say just prior to this, " De 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Was God suggesting the possibility that He had lied to them in verse 6 by the implications of verse 17?

#1 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008