1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Found: The New Earth

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Apr 25, 2007.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

The New Earth

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=450467&in_page_id=1965

Interesting article. But something keeps bothering me. In stories like this you see quotations like this one often, that liquid water is a prerequisite for life to evolve. Why is that so?

Now I am not an evolutionist, but:

IF, man (and life itself) evolved through a series of random events then why do we assume that for life to evolve somewhere else it would follow the same pattern it has here on earth? Why is liquid water a prerequisite? Why would we assume that life somewhere else would follow the same carbon based form it has on earth. Why not silicon based? Why could life not evolve in seas of liquid methane instead of in liquid water? Or a pool of liquid iron for that matter?

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I read the article, and yes, it was quite interesting. There is no telling what secrets the universe holds. The only comment that can be made about life else where is that if it is there, God created it, just like He did here. All the questions associated with that would be mysteries to us. I have heard the comment passed around many times that according to Scripture, life can only be here on Earth. I see no evidence in the Bible to support that beyond someone's opinion. Then again, it would not surprise me if we are the only life.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I always thought it was humorous when watching science fiction movies that when Earthlings would land on a planet 20,000,000 light years away from earth the inhabitants would look basically like us. Likewise, people who claim they have been taken aboard an alien spacecraft, the beings they describe usually have two legs, two arms, two eyes, and look pretty much like us with a few exceptions (larger head and eyes). I agree. Mutations and other random changes would lead to a whole different path and the chances that a being on another planet would look exactly like us is as great as odds as evolution itself. Now if you believe in a Creator then that would be a different story. Now if there was life on another planet would God tell us in His Word?

#3 Ps104_33, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You know, this is one of those subjects that is interesting converstion and of no consequence. If one believes in a Creator, one must believe He created all life no matter where. Like I said above, I wouldnt be surprised either way, yes or no to life out there. Did He tell us in the Bible? Not as far as I can tell. Did He tell us there isnt any? I dont see it. Any insight from other views would be fascinating to share.

I dont think the Bible reveals all secrets there are to tell. Even John says Jesus did so much in His ministry that all the pages could not record everything. We know what we need to.

5. amity

amity New Member

There is some book out there with some claim to be Christian scripture which contains a quote something like "Other worlds have I made." I can't remember if this was in the apocrypha, gnostic writings, the Book of Mormon, or where! Of course if it is in the apocryphy it would have more credibility in my mind.

BTW, here is a short article on the improbability of silicon based life:
    http://nai.nasa.gov/astrobio/feat_questions/silicon_life.cfm

#5 amity, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always used to wonder that as a child. When they were making discoveries about the conditions on the surfaces of the other planets in this solar syste, and it was like "nah; too hot; nah, too cold"-- the "Goldilocks syndrome" mentioned in one of the articles of this planet. But I always fet, well, who says life would not adapt to those conditions.

I guess the answer comes from the chemicals scientists believe make up life. In some condition; where it would be too hot or too cold for the compounds to form right, then you would nto be able to have life. I also wonder if it is possible to have life that does not need an atmoshpere to live. There might be some similar explanation for that.

I read not too long ago, that those "large headed alien" images might be a subconscious remembrance of people's first view of their mothers! You figure, the little baby, who is just beginning to see, and his mother is holding him, and his vision is very blurry.
    Before reading that, I was beginning to wonder if this image might come from some inborn God-given sense instilled in us, indicatiing that this is His universal design of intelligent beings (so they would have the same form anywhere we went), but this new theory would make a lot of sense.