1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Four years under Baptist teaching and going back listening to Char/Pente sermons

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Squidward, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Squidward

Squidward Member

Man, I had no idea how little I truly knew of the Word until I went back to one of these fellowships and listened to a sermon. A sermon that jumped around from verse to verse basically using them as reinforcement to make their point as opposed to teaching to scripture. I spend the first 38 years of my 43 year old life in these types of churches and looking back, I can't see how anyone learns a thing listening to these sermons. The church I go to is independent but the leadership I've been sitting under these last 5 years are all Baptist seminary trained and phenomenal teachers, preachers, and expositors.

I now realize that sermons in C/P churches mostly had to do with people dealing with issues or pimping prosperity, and as I said, jumping around all over the place in the Bible. The Word of God is taught in such a shallow way that these people have no idea what the Bible says half of the time.

My niece was on Facebook talking about the "hedge of protection" cliché. I responded by saying that it's a pretty common phrase in C/P circles along with "binding satan" and "pleaing the blood of Jesus." Her pastor chimed in with the "legitimacy" of binding satan by using Matthew 18:18. I proceeded to point out how he completely used that scripture out of context and then he pointed out other verses where these words were used but the had nothing to do with what he meant. The guy has been a senior pastor at a decent sized church (a few hundred) for 15 years.

#1 Squidward, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well thank God you are now here for us. We can all now come and sit at your feet and let you teach us all so we can avoid these shallow uses of scripture in the future. And then we can carry on the arrogance with which you have displayed here.

3. Squidward

Squidward Member

???

Never said I knew it all. I said I knew very little (almost nothing) after a lifetime in C/P churches.

:tonofbricks:

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you are here now for us. We did not see this, you did and so now we can come to you.

5. Squidward

Squidward Member

OK, wow, sure thought I could get some support from recovering Pentecostals like me. This sure is the opposite tone of a thread I noticed you posted a couple of months ago when I was just lurking.

#5 Squidward, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  6. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand where you're coming from. Spent quite a few years at the beginning of my Christian journey attending charismatic churches. Finally got out and started attending a church that was rooted and grounded in the Word. Grew quite a bit. When I married my first wife, we started attending a charismatic church (she was/still is charismatic). The difference in teaching was like night and day. One particular service got a little too wild for me and I hurried out of there and haven't set foot in a charismatic church since.

So, good for you that you are able to recognize the deficiency of the C/P teachings. :thumbs: :thumbs:

:)

7. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

So what is a C/P church??? Ok well I caught on to the pentecostal part but what is charismatic?

8. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Why the sarcasm rev??? I don't see what this fella said that asked for such a smart Ellic reply??

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't understand either. :confused:

Squidward, I thank God that you are not part of that movement any longer! I know several people who are engulfed in it and it is because they do not accept scripture as it is written. They have to pluck out verses here and there to build their doctrine. It's such false teaching but it feels good, so they love it.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may have misunderstood him. When he said "C/P" I took it to mean Cooperative Program churches.

11. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

What in the world? Why are you being so sarcastic and cruel? Anyone can see he mentioned charismatic and Pentecostal. He even went on to mention "prosperity gospel". I don't sense a hint of arrogance in his post.

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

You may have misunderstood? How about you totally misunderstood. How you got cooperative program out of Char/Pente is beyond everyone else that read it.

You have a way about slapping people around with your posts.

Who am I? Who are you?

13. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly, but this is status quo for him.

I personally believe what happened was the OP actually exposed his type of preaching, i.e. all over the place Bible verses. No one should act startled over this behavior of his, it is typical and is a snapshot of who he is.

That said, I suppose we are to pray for him.

As to the OP, congrats squidward, I pray you will continue to grow and that you will continue to being aware of where you are spiritually, that the prayer in Ephesians 1 will become an ever increasing reality in your walk.

God bless.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what was in the op.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not sure the diversion came about, but glad to hear that squid sees the difference.

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

It is always great when God opens eyes and hearts to greater understanding and this is quite humbling and there is great joy when it happens.

I was talking to a lady we've known for several years yesterday and something similar happened. I did some work for her a while back, and through some incidents she is losing her home, moving away, long story.

I shared the Gospel with her again, she was assured she is saved because she prayed a prayer years ago, but she spends time with a crystal ball, lifestyle of sin &c. I asked her what Christ came to save her from, she answered Hell, and I told her, no, from your sins, explained to her about those who live in iniquity (Mt. 7:23) and their condemnation, she was under great conviction when I left, you could see in her eyes the light went off and she said no one ever told her that, and it was as if she was in a trance almost. She was on the verge of tears and was in shock of some sort. We are praying she gets saved.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was random. :confused:

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

RevM made a mistake and he admitted it.

Glad that Squid sees a difference now. But truth be told, there's some Baptist preaching that is just as shallow as the Char/Pent brand.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The pot blasting the kettle...and in the true, passive / aggressive nature made infamous on the bb....says we should pray for HIM :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. thisnumbersdisconnected

No, it was in the thread title, which you had to read and click on in order to digest the post and reply to it. You have admitted a mistake, which is a blessing. How about an apology to Squidward?