1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fox Debate: Trump against the "World?!"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Because it's not his family. Unless it touches home, a lot of Christians can't seem to empathize with the situation of others.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're not my family either. And I'm not being all that empathetic. I do however take issue with unconstitutional positions. The current president isn't the only one who can take them.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Perhaps therein lies the issue with a lot of Christians. Of late, the a lot of what I read on this board and hear from so many folks who call themselves evangelicals is a very ugly lack of empathy that goes against how Christ demonstrated we should be responding.

Do you also take issue with the unChristlike positions?

The Good Samaritan demonstrated how God expects His people to respond. Yet so much of what I've heard from folks who are calling themselves Christians, mirrors what Jedi posted.

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think you rather I take not take an emotion based position. As for the other, what's unChristlike in wanting our nation's laws enforced? The problem is a matter of practicality. To have the level of enforcement many here desire and demand, it would take a police state. I for one take a very dim view of
    • the idea of internal passports.
    • enforcement officers demanding your "papers"
    • requiring the "proper" residency stamps.
    Like many on the Board, you are uncomfortable with allies who do not precisely share your presuppositions. It reminds me of the situation back in WW2 with Eisenhower and De Gaulle.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's assuming the children are American Citizens.
    But even if the kids are - they should not be the reason -for the parents to stay in the USA.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they are not citizens, they are just as liable as their parents for deportation. If they are, then come up with a plan to deal with them when you deport the parents. What I'm trying to do is to cause folks to think matters through and not just in slogans.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Why would I rather you not take an emotion based decision? There's nothing wrong with emotions if they align with Christ. Is your loving others not an emotion based in Christ?

Why on earth would being able to empathize with someone's situation be viewed as something someone wouldn't want you to do?O O Is that not what the Good Samaritan did? Is that not what Christ did on the Cross?

What's unChristlike about it is that as a follower of Christ, obedience to man's laws should not supersede the command of Christ for you to love your neighbors and to do unto others as you would have done unto you. It's as though when it comes to certain hot button political issues, we forget that we are to be allegianced to Christ and His way FIRST, not our politics.

Why is the problem one of practicality for the followers of Christ? He doesn't say treat you neighbors a certain way when it's practical. HE doesn't say to treat the alien in your land a certain way when it's practical. He didn't demonstrate that we are only to help the beaten man in the road when it's practical.

Other than standing in God's pulpit and preaching, there's not too much that makes me uncomfortable.:) I simply believe that as followers of Christ, we should demonstrate the love of Christ FIRST. If it's not done to the glory of Christ and for HIS purpose, we are tooting our own horns.

And if we LOVE our neighbor as Christ says we should, why is it so difficult to empathize with their situation?