1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foxes Book Of Martyrs

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by tyndale1946, Apr 22, 2002.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This book is a classic and tells what the children of God who would not renounce Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior faced. Everyone that takes the name of Jesus Christ needs to know what true trials and persecutions are... this book is a must read. I've read it twice!... Have you read it? It should be required reading for every one that calls themself a christian... Brother Glen [​IMG]

2. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Great Book. Mine's the Clarion edition, edited by Forbush. Several different editions out there; this one is especially detailed concerning persecution by the RCC.

How many of those folk would have supported ECT?

3. Carly33

Carly33 New Member

I read this book last year. What trully hit me was that I never fully realized the extent of the persecution and how it was overwhelmingly perpetrated by the RCC. I also learned a lot of RCC beliefs from this book.

I don't think many were martyred because they would not denounce the name of Christ , but because they would not endorse the false doctrines of the RCC.

I think its a valuable lesson for us today....maybe we need to take doctrine just as serious....IT really does matter what you believe scripture says. Too many shed their blood to stand against heresy, for us to not carry the torch for them.....we must uphold good doctrine and expose heresy just as adamantly as they did.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Denouncing the name of Christ is endorsing and embracing false doctrine!... You need to read it again!... Brother Glen :eek:

5. Carly33

Carly33 New Member

My point was that the inquisitors did not kill them because they believed in Jesus but because they denounced their heretical doctrines....(a form of godliness, if you will)...

...I understand your concern, I think you may misunderstand what I'm trying to convey. They did not have to denounce the name of Christ(per say) to be spared, but adhere to the doctrines of baptismal regeneration, transubstantiation, and the immaculate conception....(yes these are heresies, and adhering to them denies the word of God.)

I think we're on the same page but just looking at it from different angles.