1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

France enforces ban

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Apr 12, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Baptists have always stood for freedom of religion. One could only hope that Baptists in France will stand for it in this instance too. The ban on coverings is terrible policy and directed at oppressing a minority of individuals. To claim the label of security is both disingenuous and belies a more ominous trend against people of faith.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Will you also support a ban on ski masks? How about fishing scarves that people wear?

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Quite an unfounded accusation against their motives. Not very Christian to be sure.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You commit the same offense by claiming that his motives are unchristian. Pot meet kettle.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Maybe you should reread what I posted because this makes no sense.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Some states already have a ban on shi masks in public. Virginia comes to mind and i think Ohio is another. They are permitted on the slopes and places like that but not permitted in public buildings and even driving or walking around. In some Southern states laws were brought about because of The Ku Klux Klan, others because of safety issues and robbers using them so yes i support those laws.

#7 freeatlast, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are saying that he has no basis for his claim. You claim that it was unchristian. However, you have not substantiated your assertion, and to claim that it is unchristian is making a moral claim against him similar to what you are claiming that he did.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

Again that is not what I said. You have put words in my mouth and you need to read with careful concern what I said.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

While I also support freedom of religion, and baptists traditionally do support it, also true is that they do not turn off their brains to support every claim to religious freedom. Just because someone claims a practice as their religious beliefs does not make it their right even under our religious freedom laws.
    There are those who seek to sacrifice animals under their religious laws and that is against the law in this country. There are those who would sacrifice children and circumcise girls also banned in this country. Also some believe in marrying multiple wives, also banned. Some in the Muslim religion believe it is all right even commanded to beat their wives. Would you stand for that? So the claim that something should be allowed because of freedom of religion is simply a mindless thought.

In the case of these coverings there is not a clear teaching in the Koran. In reading the passage about this many Muslims do not agree as to its meaning. It does speak of a head covering and being modest and how the covering should come down and cover the chest, but it does not specify blanking out everything except the eyes.

In the case of the Muslim covering every inch of her body with only the eyes showing one problem is that some of the women are forced to wear the coverings by their husbands in some instances and that alone should warrant a law. However another problem is in today's world with the terrorist problem it is an open door for trouble. So I totally support any law banning these things.

11. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

I'm kind of torn on this area because I see both sides of this story.
    The government is trying to protect the people, and/or at least be able to see the faces of people because of the past suicide bombers (which have included women). I agree that all possible precautions should be taken, but where (if any) would the line be drawn. I can also see how these women may feel that their religious beliefs, being the moral coverings, are being attacked because of the evil doings of others.

Its unfortunate, but I guess its a part of this sinful world. Many laws are put into action because someone has abused certain freedoms. :(

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are free to clarify.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exceptions to ban on public face covering

* Motorcycle helmets
    * Face-masks for health reasons
    * Face-covering for sporting or professional activities
    * Sunglasses, hats etc which do not completely hide the face
    * Masks used in "traditional activities", such as carnivals or religious processions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13031397

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here.

The French claim that women wearing veils are being demeaned and made to be thought of as inferior citizens. People forcing women to wear veils can face a prison term of up to 2 years.