1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Franken for Senate

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by DeeJay, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/972540.html

Ha, ha he is funny. :laugh:

And his first lie ( as a politician)

Far, far, far.............far left

And already the race card, Hey this guy is a natural politican. He may have a chance. This it the best news the Republicans have had. :laugh:

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Franken told Bill Maher almost 2 years ago that he was probably going to run. Stuart Smalley is a witty comedian, but what else does he do other than recite the latest Dem talking points? What's next? Rush Limbaugh for the House? Ann Coulter for president? Keith Olbermann for President? We don't need more partisan hacks in Washington.
    Hopefully the voters of Minnesota will be wise. :praying:

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Will Rogers once told Congress that they were the real professional humorists:

"When I tell a joke, people can laugh or not. When you guys do a joke, it's a law!"

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

A comedian of the political satirist variety which means he is well-informed.

At last! Some one called "far left" who actually is!

Race card? Um, "Jew" refers to religion, his own, not race.

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Possibly the funniest political story I've heard is Franken's concerning some rightwing doofus who wrote in a column that liberals are kind of wimpy.

Franken called him up, and said that they could test that by having a fist fight, liberal vs. doofus.

He said he'd get back to him. Never did.

6. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I think he means nationality, which we typically use interchangeably with race.

My mother used to work for our doctor, who is Jewish, in nationality and religion. They were having a discussion one day, I forget about what, but it led to his stating that Mom's nationality was Christian. She told him that was her religion, not her nationality. He said, "Well, my nationality is Jewish, so I thought yours was Christian." Mom got a kick out of that.

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Ok, I am confused.

I realize that Jewish can be a religion and/or what I called race brother James called nationality.

If Jewish is a nationality then only people who are citizens of Israel or those who practice the Jewish religion are Jewish.

My question. Can't you be a citizen of a country other then Israel say the US and not practice the Jewish religion say you are Christian and still be Jewish because maybe you mom or grandmother was Jewish. Does that make Jewish a race?

Or are do people like I described not Jewish? Honest question.

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

One more thing.

If I as a Christian of German linage go to live in Isreal and become a citizen of Isreal, am I Jewish?

If it is a nationality then Palistinians who are citizens of Israel are Jewish. That does not sound correct to me, am I missing something.

9. Bro. James Reed

It makes about as much sense as saying one's nationality is African-American, even though Africa is not a nation and most African-Americans I know have never even been to Africa.

Don't ask me why we have some of the terminology that we do. I have enough trouble keeping up with what I am.:laugh:

10. Bro. James Reed

From Merriam-Webster online version:

Definition of Jew:

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

This makes it a race also. Right?

12. Bro. James Reed

Idunno???:confused:

Where's a translator when you need one?:laugh:

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Well here is a dictionary.com definition for race.

And part of the definition you gave for Jew

I say Daisy, you are wrong. Jewish is a race and religion.

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Jewish is also not a nationality. Jews can be American, Israeli, Ethiopian, German, etc.

So, can I convert to Oriental and change my race?

Jewish is a religion, not a race. Jewishness crosses race lines as it does nationalities.

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

The real question is, was Franken refering to his religion or his "race"?

Neither really - "New York Jew" is a cultural reference, further complicated by the fact that he grew up in Minnesota, not New York.

The reference to "race" in his statement was the US senate race which is a different kind of race altogether. I don't think you can say he played the "race card" with that kind of race.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Jewishness also crosses religious lines, as you can be a Christian Jew or a Budist Jew.

Jewish is a religion. BUT it is also a race because it is passed down threw common descent.

If I am born and raised in a Jewish neighborhood in New York. Am I a "New York Jew"? Even if I am German and Christian.

Obviously Franken is making refference to his linage of being Jewish. That is race.

17. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Not really...how do you figure that one? What does that even mean?

Not so common as the Jews dispersed all over the world.

Yes, that is the joke of it - to more than a few, you would be.

Of course, Franken was not born or raised in a Jewish neighborhood in New York, unlike Coleman.

Nonsense, look at what you chose to quote: "Franken expects his years in New York to be an issue" which he states as "If I do run against Norm Coleman in '08, I'll be the only New York Jew in the race who actually grew up in Minnesota." He didn't say the only Jew in the race, did he? No, he said very specifically "New York Jew" which is NOT a race (in New York, the Hassidim are distinct from the European Jews and the Ethiopean Jews are considered a different race altogether).

It is only "obvious" to you because you consider Jewish to be a race, not because he does.

#17 Daisy, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

It means you can be Jewish and not be a member of the Jewish religion. Your linage is Jewish but you are a Christian or whatever.

What does your location have to do with your linage.

Nobody would consider you Jewish if you are not either by linage or religion. No matter where you grew up. You would be that Irish guy from the Jewish neighborhood.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Jewish is not a race?

Hold that, Jewish is a race?

Wait, not a race again?

Daisy, I will let you decide in your own mind if Jewish is a race or not. Then we can discuss. It is clear from the definitions that Jewish is a race as well as a religion. A person can be Jewish by linage (race) religion or both. Maybe you could do a little research on the matter and show some fact instead of just your opinion.

#19 DeeJay, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Right.
    No, Jewish is not a race. Ethiopian Jews from Africa are racially distinct from Sephardim (I said Hassidim, but I meant Sephardim, sorry) from Persia by way of Spain and Portugal and from Ashkenazim from Northern Europe. They all have the same religion, more or less, but are different races (as generally distinguished).

No, not again, still - still not a race.

I apologize for confusing you, but my position is clear if not clearly stated: Jewish is a religion, not a race.

If Jewishness transcends race, how can it be a race?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.